HassOS 3 released! Raspberry Pi 4 support

When people say hassio in docker they usually say it that way to differentiate from running HassOS. It does actually matter sometimes differentiating because a debian/docker/hassio install is different to HassOS when you are talking access to the host for example. Particularly when you have to install the base OS then docker then hassio… why wouldn’t a user refer to that as Hassio in docker? Of course all hassio implies docker but it’s a semantic differentiation to using HassOS where the docker is hidden.

2 Likes

The volunteer work to bring this update to life is just considerable.

The announcement of this topic is just great news, it should mainly generate enthusiasm!
A huge thank you to all contributors who got involved this update !

I am kind of disappointed / sad to see this topic drowned by complaints about an insufficiently clear sentence or insufficiently explicit documentation on the different types of installation.

Main contributors deserve congratulations, it is one of the engines of the motivation to continue to invest and share their personal time and skills for community.

Even if the subject may deserve to be discussed, it is the HassOS 3 released! Raspberry Pi 4 support announcement, isn’t that annoying debate off topic here ?
If this point tickles some of you, could you please create a new topic for it.

8 Likes

Sorry in advance for this noob question.
What are the steps to make to switch from sd-card to a SSD hard disk.
Right now I have a Rpi 3+ running the latest versions:

• HA: v. 0.103.0
  • Hass.io supervisor: v. 193
  • Host system: hassio HassOS 3.7

Many thanks in advance for any help to take the right steps to make.

nice diagram indeed, and clarifies a lot.

If I were allowed 1 suggestion:

In the top bar you state at the end: ‘This can be a pi, a pc, or VM.’

Which might lead to the conclusion ‘Your Operating System’ is (because of the phrase ‘This can be’) a device.

If you’d change that line in: This (operating system) is device (in)dependent, and can even run on a VM.

The device-layer has been left out of your diagram, and does deserve its own place, it’s what confuses many…

Seeing as Supervisor, Home Assistant and DNS are mandatory always present containers maybe I would list them on a seperate row as all others are optional?

It’s the same process but you flash the SSD instead of an SD. On a 3b+ you don’t have to change anything other than use the right hardware. This table has some known working combinations of usb sata adapters and ssd drives. It doesn’t mean others won’t work. I grabbed some random drive and adapter which were not on the list and they worked fine, but there is a chance some hardware won’t.

1 Like

Thanks!!
I just ordered this:
Kingston A400 120GB SSD (SA400S37)–|--Startech USB3-SATA3 adapter (USB312SAT3CB).

What about this?:
" USB Boot

USB mass storage boot is available on Raspberry Pi 3B, 3B+, 3A+, and 2B v1.2. To enable USB boot, add program_usb_boot_mode=1 into config.txt . Note that this permanently alters the one-time programmable memory of the device."

Do I still have to do this, when?

On a 3b+, you do not. You can physically switch from SD to USB + SSD whenever you want, one or the other.

1 Like

Super! Thanks a lot !!!

I would agree with David, show the ‘obligatory’ on their own line (and maybe in a different colour)
@cogneato but the only mention in this otherwise wonderful diagram of hassio is that it needs docker to exist.
So pretending that I have 3 brain cells (I know, that’s 2 more than I actually have :crazy_face: ) I may infer that hassio exists under docker but is above…??? Why is it not on the diagram ? What plugs into hassio ???
I appreciate that this is not easy but a good picture paints a thousand words

This looks exactly like “Hassio on Docker” to me. Where Hassio is a suite of docker containers that run on the docker installation.

I accept it is always Hassio on Docker, but as someone pointed out - it’s the way it has come to be describged so as to distinguish it from Hass.OS.

James :slight_smile:

1 Like

So if I am correct this update allows us to boot any device via the usb port (USB stick or SSD).
I currently use a rPi 3b+ and install the image like an SD (via etcher) on the SSD and just with adjustment in the config file it would boot up?

I will give it a try!

Question as the SSD needs to boot up via the USB port does it have any effect on the speed of the SSD? Or will it be equal to an USB drive? If thats the case I am going to buy and usb cause I dont have an SSD laying around.

Read the links given in the posts above, all your answers are there

Yeah, you’re right. Clarification on the ANNOUNCEMENT shouldn’t be handled here…it should be handled in one of the other 5,000 threads where we discuss the confusion of installation methods, where it falls on deaf ears. /s

Or you know, it’s being discussed here, because the ANNOUNCEMENT literally has words in it that are very unclear about a fully supported installation method.

We have been going round and round with the developers on this for over 2 years, and it seems nothing ever gets done about it. The community has tried to submit changes to docs to clarify only to be met with “It’s fine the way it is!”.

3 Likes

I’m wondering the same thing.

Should use the VMDK and convert it using Proxmox command line.

I believe ‘insufficiently clear sentences’ deserve to be clarified especially when they are in announcements.

EDIT
In fact, in response to feedback, clarifications to the announcement have already been made. We greatly appreciate Frenck’s many valuable contributions and his openness to suggestions.

Main contributors deserve congratulations, it is one of the engines of the motivation to continue to invest and share their personal time and skills for community.

I believe most contribute because they simply like the project. I know I do.

Even if the subject may deserve to be discussed, it is the HassOS 3 released! Raspberry Pi 4 support announcement, isn’t that annoying debate off topic here ?

I believe it does deserve to be discussed because it’s relevant to the issue of clear communication. Everyone is free to simply skip the parts they find annoying.

The average user’s confusion surrounding the terminology for Hass.io is as old as Hass.io itself. All attempts to clarify it are not only welcome but necessary.

Correct, as I stated before, the blog will be updated, which has been done.

Not sure what you mean in this case. This is place for an open community discussion. I do not see your point.

yes, it has been adjusted on our blog announcement now. As I have mentioned before.

Wow. This is based on totally nothing. I would appreciate you’d stop saying those kinds of things… Thanks.

Obviously, you didn’t read the quote to the person I responded to…or see the /sarcasm

And I thank you for that. My comments were in response to someone else…so…there’s that.

No. This is NOT based on totally nothing. We have been fighting this battle since the team announced HASSIO. Plain and simple. There are countless threads on these forums as well as Reddit discussing the confusion around the naming, the recommended install method, and how HassIO works. This is irrefutable considering the shear number of comments we read on this subject.

There have been several attempts to correct and clarify, but what we got was “The way it is is fine, so we added an FAQ, that sort of explains it, but only if the user actively searches this information out, because we don’t make it obvious”

I realize you are in a position where you take offense to this, but I am in a position where I read about this confusion DAILY. I know you are busy with the project, and nothing is a sleight against you personally, but the simple fact that there is so much confusion, should really open your eyes to the issues.

The entire point is that the diagram IS Hassio. It’s the whole environment. There isn’t any single thing IN docker to point at and say “There, that is Hassio”. The closest thing to it would be the Supervisor but it isn’t.

Hassio is the forest. Not a tree.

2 Likes