HassOS cashes in VitrualBox

Hi *,

I switched from HassOS on RaspPi to HassOS on Virtualbox OSE two weeks ago.

I am running it headless and the system is running fine so far.
Home Assistant OS 5.9
Home Assistant Core 2021.1.0
Addons: InfluxDB, MariaDB, PhpMyAdmin, Terminal & SSH, Samba Share, JupyterLab Lite, Log Viewer, File Editor
Integrations: MQTT, deConz, Hue, Modbus, SNMP, IPP, Mobile App, OpenWeatherMap

I modified the guest:
VBoxManage modifyvm “Home Assistant” --nic1 bridged --bridgeadapter1 enp2s0 --memory 12024 --vram 16 --cpus 3 --usb off --cableconnected1 on

But the entire VM guest crashed twice already. First time five days ago and then half an hour ago.
The VirtualBox process takes ~30% of the host CPU at that time and required hard rebooting. I cannot access any HA service, even a ping to the VM guest fails.

Anyone has any clue?

Best
Ck

Hi Christoph

I managed to get this working on an Intel NUC some months ago using the following config.

VBoxManage createvm --name "HassOS" --ostype Linux_64 --register
VBoxManage modifyvm "HassOS" --memory 4096 --cpus 2
VBoxManage storagectl "HassOS" --name "IDE Controller" --add ide --controller PIIX4
VBoxManage storageattach "HassOS" --storagectl "IDE Controller" --port 0 --device 0 --type hdd --medium "hassos_ova-4.11.vdi"
VBoxManage modifyvm "HassOS" --vrde off
VBoxManage modifyvm "HassOS" --firmware efi --nic1 bridged --nicpromisc1 allow-all
VBoxManage modifyvm "HassOS" --bridgeadapter1 "enp0s25"
VBoxManage modifyvm "HassOS" --usb on
VBoxManage modifyvm "HassOS" --usbehci on
VBoxManage modifyvm "HassOS" --usbxhci on

Thank you for your suggestion. I’ve given it a try, but HassOS crashed again.

Any other suggestions?

Well, it seems that an update to HomeAssistant OS 5.10 fixed the problem. time will tell…

crashed again…

I abandoned the virtual machine…
Now I run the databases via docker on the same host as the VM was running and moved HA back to RPi4.