HassOS Hanging on Boot: Stuck at "Wait Until Kernel Time Synchronized"

I am running into this issue on fresh install do you know how I can get around it using the cli? Because I don’t have a login for the new instance yet

This few lines made my day.
After a shutdown my HA suddenly did not get an IP anymore (ProxmoxVM). After re-adding the ethernet connection and activating it I immediatly could connect again. Somebody should really investigate this further…

1 Like

Just wanna say thanks for this, had to create a new network profile and activate it.
My hass os running on tp430 randomly lost connection with ethernet or usb ethernet.

1 Like

Fwiw, I just checked the GitHub issue ( see link in post above). It hasn’t been assigned. Maybe if more of you comment on it??

I’m having this same issue running in Docker, so I think it’s unlikely that it’s only related to failing SD cards. Mine started happening randomly so I too have no recent backups.

Same problem with fresh install on proxmox with last version…

1 Like

Also same issue on proxmox

I have the same with the NUC image. It’s actually mindblowing that this issue is happening for several years and hasn’t been resolved yet… This is the main reason why a lot of people still don’t adopt HA IMO.

I don’t want to reinstall HA, then load up a snapshot in order to update to a newer OS. This is such bad customer experience…

3 Likes

I just had this issue after updating the operating system. The message to me was the clue that it was a network issue of some type. To me it could not get to the time servers. I never suspected the storage because the message and hang location was pointed right at a network issue.

I went to my firewall and found that some traffic was being blocked. I opened the ports that it needed and it started working.

So this really seams like a network issue that is specific to the individual setup. Mine was firewall related, others have seen their IPV4 turned off etc. Look at your network setup and make sure that you can get to your time servers through ping first then did deeper if you have to. There isn’t anything to fix that I can tell with home assistant as they can’t control end user setup.

I manually set the time and that was enough for my Pi to continue booting, then it synchronized again properly at the next reboot.

I believe the command was:

time -s “2022 09 08 19:34:21”

…or similar. I can’t find the post where I copied it, I’m afraid. Perhaps you’ll need to enter help time to get the correct syntax.

date --help
-s, --set=STRING           set time described by STRING
date -s “2022 09 08 19:34:21”
2 Likes

Yes, the very thing! Thank you!!

1 Like

I’ve got the very same issue on a brand new install using VirtualBox (hardware with 8Gb of RAM and 256GB SSD). Where is the place to set the date manually? Thank you

I believe I entered the command right in the shell prompt where the device hangs.

I apologize, it was a few weeks ago, and I moved on to different hardware so I cannot reproduce it.

For me, the problem occurred because the DNS server in the OS was set to the HA machine itself. Since I run AdGuard Home on HA.

I had to add another DNS server like this:

nmcli con mod "HassOS default" ipv4.dns 1.1.1.1

running nmcli con will show what is configured.

reboot machine and it worked!

1 Like

Hi All,

I’m trying to reset my HassOS instant static IP to DHCP
When I’m giving the command nmcli connection show I’m getting the following list, Can any one please help which one I should take to perform the nmcli con edit

Firstly, make sure that you chose the correct Time Zone and set time automatically on under Date & Time section of your windows pc or laptop whatever.
Secondly, If you installed virtualbox extension pack, delete it. It worked for me. Good Luck. :+1:

I saw this reply when I was searching for the fix to my own issue (which is not the same as yours, but rather the original problem, but the fixes are rooted in the same thing). I’m not a “Linux knower” or whatever and had to read through some boring command line instructions to figure out the right ones… and wanted to share more specific resources for others to spare some pain in the future. I like learning, but sometimes I also just want to “fix the problem.” Hopefully this helps someone fix their problem quickly.

My HAOS VM is running on an unRAID server. This means my devices may be different from yours. No avoiding that. Commands have to be tailored to the system they’re used on, as always for anything like this.

type these commands from the command line starting with ha >

login

now the CLI is just a cursor with ‘#’ symbol

nmcli con show
nmcli d

this first presents a table with 4 parts. for what we’re doing the NAME, TYPE and DEVICE are important
the second command shows devices. if your problem is like the OG issue in this discussion, it’s probably NOT CONNECTED (shows up as red and nothing under the connection portion). you’re looking for a device similar to ‘enp5s0’ (for me) or ‘ens3’ this device name will differ based your system settings, etc. It should be fairly obvious though.

Make note of your device name, type (ethernet), and come up with some kind of connection name.

Here’s the generic command to connect the existing device to a newly created (by you, you make this name up) connection.

nmcli connection add type ethernet con-name connection-name ifname interface-name

3 elements can/need to be changed here: type (ethernet, don’t change this), connection-name (this is a name you came up with. home_assistant_default or something), interface-name (this is your device from before. make sure it matches exactly). here’s my example

nmcli connection add type ethernet con-name hasos_default ifname enp5s0

type that in with your settings and that will create a new connection to the existing ethernet device thus allowing you access to your HAOS UI again. yay!

you can check with

nmcli d

and

nmcli con show

if it was red before (which is why you’re even in this thread, i assume) now it should be GREEN. it should show the name you gave the connection and that name is now associated with the device you wanted. wow. very cool.

exit

is the command to exit back to the main > ha screen.

once you quit you can go to your HAOS IP or whatever it’s local name is in a browser as normal. ex: 192.168.x.y:8123 or homeassistant.local:8123 (or whatever you made your stuff from before this error happened). if you didn’t have your router assigning the IP from before, it might be under a different IP. you just gotta go into your router UI to find the new connection if that’s the case. but it SHOULD now be correctly connected once you create a new connection with that device.

I have no idea why this issue is happening, clearly it’s been a thing for a couple year now, but hopefully my instructions here make it as painless as possible to fix it.

I used a combination of people posting in here and this documentation to figure it out. This also has the steps to create a static connection if you want to (I just have my router assign the fixed IP). Check this site out if you want to know all the nmcli commands, but the one main one above is enough if you have all the pieces already.

(here’s their instruction and example for a static ip btw)

nmcli connection add type ethernet con-name connection-name ifname interface-name ip4 address gw4 address

example:

nmcli con add type ethernet con-name test-lab ifname ens9 ip4 10.10.10.10/24
gw4 10.10.10.254

(I didn’t mess with this but it seems like the same stuff as DHCP setup)

I solved this by making sure my network gateway could propagate ntp server adress properly

I also had this issue. The error was caused by a miss-configured DHCP server, not providing a valid ntp Server.