Hatch Baby Rest+

There’s probably an obvious answer that I’m missing, but how do I add this through HACS? I’ve tried search for “hatch” and “rest” in the HACS integrations, but I get no results. Thanks

I just picked up a gen 2 and started working on trying to get this custom component working I have the the light and media player reporting in to HA but the way state changes work (specifically with the audio selection) is a lot different than the gen 1 stuff so its slow going.

I’ll post back here when I have something ready for testing.

2 Likes

I would be curious if there is an integration with the Hatch Rest classic now that HA can do Bluetooth connections.

1 Like

I’ve got a Rest Classic, and occasionally it gets detected by the HomeKit Controller integration since the introduction of BT support, but as far as I know, the classic model never had HomeKit support. I’ve tried pairing it via the discovery notification, but it always fails because I don’t have a HomeKit pairing code.

Well my work on this API has slowed a bit, I’ve now bricked my unit twice with no ability to recover it without getting hatch support involved. Seems their API doesn’t like when you send it bad data and completely prevents remote commands from their app which doesn’t make my wife too happy lol.

We will see if hatch unbricks it this time without escalating and causing someone to dig in and figure out what I was attempting to do…

3 Likes

Any progress? I just got a 1st gen and really like it, but would prefer to get a 2nd gen as always like the latest/greatest. But HASS functionality is a must!

Okay so I have a version of this working. There were a few complications that I’ve worked around but slightly limits functionality.

1. Support for setting an audio track isn’t supported the audio track URLs are obtained from a third party service called contentful and pulling that API in on top of the hatch API is a lot of extra work/might not be possible. This means that the media player sound mode is actually choosing between the saved favorites on the app. This also means changing the sound mode will change the light.
  2. Turning the light on in HA uses the last stored light state (saved in the library) this is because turning off the light actually wipes out the color state of the light on the service. The color state in the library is defaulted at startup to 50% meaning (red 50% green 50% blue 50% brightness 50%) if you change the light after startup that light state will be stored so on/off will work as expected after that.

Lastly these changes will only work on the gen 2 rest not rest+ or the gen 1 products. The + will probably work with these changes but not without another change to tell the library to fetch those devices too which I haven’t added yet. And the gen 1 stuff will work but I have to make some tweaks before they will work.

So if anyone has a gen 2 and wants to test this out take a look at Initial support for gen 2 products by w1ll1am23 · Pull Request #25 · dahlb/ha_hatch · GitHub and swap in the changed fields to your custom component.

How did you setup the integration once the HACS extension was installed? Did it just show up as a Tuya integration?

The latest version is up with support for the gen 2 devices.

You can only play favorites from the media player, pressing play will play the first favorite. Stopping the media player will also turn off the light, unfortunately there is no easy way around this.

The battery sensor will be created for non-battery powered gen 2 devices you can just disable it in the device settings if you don’t want to see it.

Just wanted to add that there is a PR for HA core to add the Hatch Rest via Bluetooth. I stumbled upon it while looking for something with local control: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/77381

Wow, that PR is exactly what I am looking for. Hope they’re able to make the necessary changes and get it merged soon! I find myself not using our v1 (bluetooth) Rest nearly as often as I would if it integrated with HA. Would love to add it to our toddler’s bedtime scene.

I’d honestly love to help contribute some code, but as those with toddlers know, free time is vanishingly rare. Happy to help test with my device whenever possible.

I’m having trouble getting the v2 light and sound settings to work via a HA scene. It seems like setting sound_mode in the media_player state has no effect. Any tips?

1 Like