Have Alexa play a sound when I enter my property

I want Alexa (or all my Alexa’s together preferably) to play a sound when I open my front/back doors. Had a search around and can’t find anything suggesting you can, so I thought I’d ask in here. Is it possible?

Not possible. (I’d like to do something like that too)

May be happening soon. It’s been achieved on other platforms, have a quick search through very recent posts, but needs a kind soul(s) to add it to HA now.

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully not much longer to wait. In the mean time I am using a shell_command to playback a chime through my RP3 which is hooked up to some speakers which will do in the interim.

So from what I read a while back, amazon was adding the ability to the beta version of alexa. I read this like 5 or 6 months ago. Chances are it is in the beta version currently if you want to use it. Either way, the limitation is alexa, not HomeAssistant.

What I believe you have seen is Alexa notifications. It appears that we will be able to send notifications from third party apps to Alexa, however, a notification just causes the light to appear. Then later, you can ask alexa to read your notification text. That’s not what I’m looking for, and I don’t think it’s what Dan is looking for either.

Well that is shit. That’s not what I’m looking for either.

1 Like

Two words: Google Home

1 Like

Can you wake google home with “alexa”, LOL. I’d hate to have to switch. My wife and I would be in shambles for 3 weeks trying to get things to work.

I also have Alexa … I pretty much use GH exclusively for spoken notifications. I think I picked up my mini for about $30.

Ah ok, that’s not a bad idea.

1 Like

Obviously everyone missed this posted earlier today that I referenced in my reply above then…

1 Like

“Alexa ask Google…” is a great DIY skill to have for when Alexa is being thick.

some news about playing Soundfiles on alexa ?

I’ve been looking into it also. Here’s my latest status:
When I try to force playing any mp3 I get Alexa telling me she won’t play local media.
Amazon USED TO allow you to play your own mp3’s on Alexa via your own Amazon personal music account but that has been discontinued.
There is a Plex skill for Alexa to let you play your mp3’s stored on your Plex server on Alexa (yes, I’ve tested it and it works via Alexa voice command).
Therefore;
I am waiting for an HA media-player that is able to select Plex for source (kinda like selecting Spotify or IHeart).

You can do this with the universal media player:

It’s basically a template media player.

My understanding is that the echo can only play sources that are accessible via the Amazon service.

How would you get the source on your local machine to be accessible to Amazon using that component?

I don’t know, I was actually responding to @Dixey. Not the entire thread.

I should have explained a bit better, I was replying to this sentence:

He would just have to build a script to execute when plex is selected.

I’d be willing to bet that you could get this done with haaska somehow…

Anyone has any update on this?

I’ve been trying to figure this out with this, but nothing happens:

- alias: "test audio"
  hide_entity: false
  initial_state: 'on'
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: alarm_control_panel.house
      to: 'triggered'
  action:
    - service: media_player.play_media
      data_template: