Having issues with location updates and zone triggers

random question: is there a way to programatically turn HA mode on and off via something like tasker? i know you can do it via notification, but i’m trying to do it just on my phone and not involve the network at all (to eliminate the small dead zone around my house as a possible reason for this continuing to fail)…if i can do that, i could set up a tasker profile to turn it on when disconnecting from my home wifi.

Currently its not possible but you can submit a feature request to be able to control it via an intent.

1 Like

i had this working by just leaving high accuracy mode on the time when within 10 miles of home…it was a crappy workaround, but it worked.

over the weekend, i started messing with cloudflare tunnels to get to my HA install rather than remote access…and now its broken again. in fact, now even with high accuracy mode turned on, it doesn’t seem to be updating correctly at all. it didn’t record me in the zone i entered earlier after leaving home…just home, then away, then back home again (previously with high accuracy on it would always catch me there, it’s the convenience store i run to every day around lunchtime).

i have logs from when i left my house earlier - what do i need to watch for redacting before posting them?

URL and GPS coordinates

ok first try turning off include in sensor update for the single accurate location sensor, I see that you have that on but that can cause a conflict with background update.

I do not see any background updates coming in at all, we have a fix for that in the beta found in the google play store. If you can try that, we will know how well the fix is working. The update went live earlier today. The issue is that at times Google will stop sending us app updates, in the beta we look at how much time has passed and request updates again if it looks stalled.

If you force stop the app and open it again you’ll see background updates being requested and coming in about once a minute, then randomly it will stop.

If you don’t see updates coming in then get us the logs after you force stop and open the app to see if something else happened during the initial request.

1 Like

i turned off the sensor update you mentioned, we’ll see if that helps when i leave the house tomorrow. waiting on beta access in the play store.

is it possible that the changes i made to use cloudflare for external access rather than remote access via nabu casa could be causing problems?

I don’t suspect so, geofence and single accurate updates were still coming in. Did you try the force stop test I mentioned up above to see if background updates restarted?

I had tried that before even posting this yesterday (I noticed that there were issues over the weekend), but I’ll give it another shot.

just installed the beta and am getting ready to leave the house, so we’ll see what happens.

when you did the force stop did you see background updates coming in after opening hte app?

I didn’t check that part to be honest, I just had force stopped thinking it would resolve the issue (as is common with android app issues), but it did not.

Well the force stop and open test is to ensure that there are no issues with setting up background updates. The beta fixes the issue where background updates stop coming after they already started, but if you have issues starting up then thats a whole other issue in itself.

i was gone this afternoon and on too long of a drive to catch logs, but it did seem that all of my automations fired again so that seems good. tomorrow i should be on a shorter trip, so i’ll double check that with logs when i leave the house tomorrow afternoon.

one thing i did notice though: the notification to turn off high accuracy mode doesn’t seem to work in the beta. the notification pops up, but HA mode stays on (or off, depending which direction the notification is trying to flip it).

This is the breaking change mentioned in the change log actually. The command format changed in the release, the docs site has been updated to reflect the change.

1 Like

my automations all seem to be firing correctly with the beta, so it seems that whatever issue there was is now fixed. i do have logs from yesterday afternoon when i left the house if they’ll help you.

i also modified my automation to change the notification params to match the new ones, and i’m good to go on that end as well.

1 Like

no need for logs if things are working properly :slight_smile:

1 Like

my automations for stuff that fires when i come home are working (mainly i think because i’m using nodered geofencing and i have HA mode turned on), but it seems there’s still issues going on with my phone reporting location. tonight it caught me in three different zones i have marked on the map, but there should have been “away” sections inbetween each of them and there was not. it just went from one location to the other, to the other, to home, without any away locations inbetween.

i didn’t notice it until now though, even though we got home over an hour ago. next time we go out again i’ll get more logs for you to try to figure out what is going on here…

First try to look at the logs on your own to see if you need to make any adjustments like accuracy or making a zone bigger. There are a lot of variables at play here and it does not seem like location tracking got stuck as the updates are still happening.

i’ll take a look, but what kind of adjustments can i make? the gap between two of the zones in this example is nearly 10 miles, so i would think it should have caught me being inbetween. i’m not sure what i’d need to change in order to make it pick that up.