Having trouble using response value and fields in script condition

I’m working on a script to keep track of birds spotted by my BirdNET Pi. I’ve set up a script to process new sightings and add them to a to-do list. I want to prevent duplicates, so I’m using a template condition block in the script. I can’t seem to work out how to use a variable of the script in the value_template of the condition.

I’m getting the existing list and putting it into a response_value. When I search that response value for a static string it works as expected. When I try to use one of the script’s fields it no longer works.

alias: Process Bird Sighting
sequence:
  - service: todo.get_items
    metadata: {}
    data:
    target:
      entity_id: todo.identified_birds
    response_variable: birds
  - condition: template
    value_template: >-
      {{
      birds['todo.identified_birds']['items']|selectattr('summary','search',"{{common_name}}")|list|count
      == 0 }}
    enabled: true
  - service: todo.add_item
    metadata: {}
    data:
      item: "{{common_name}}"
      description: "{{scientific_name}}"
    target:
      entity_id: todo.identified_birds
mode: queued
fields:
  scientific_name:
    selector:
      text: null
    name: Scientific Name
    required: true
  common_name:
    selector:
      text: null
    name: Common Name
    required: true
icon: mdi:bird
max: 10

if I change that value_template to a static value like

{{ birds['todo.identified_birds']['items']|selectattr('summary','search',"Eastern Towhee")|list|count == 0 }}

it will correctly keep me from adding multiple “Eastern Towhee” items to the list. But it won’t work if I use the field {{common_name}} as in the selectattr expression instead.

Any thoughts? I’m new to working with repsonse values.

Duh. I figured it out, but I’ll leave it here should anyone else run into this.

{{ birds['todo.identified_birds']['items']|selectattr('summary','search',common_name)|list|count == 0 }}

is the correct format. No need for the extra braces…