HDMI CEC Matrix

Hi - I have a multi-room entertainment setup which had an old HDMI matrix which is broken on the back of an old entertainment system software (which has gone broke). I wanted to bring the entertainment system into Home Assistant and want to avoid buying another HDMI matrix.

Therefore, I am quite interested in HDMI CEC through Home Assistant. I understand you can control the source devices using Home Assistant so is it possible if I have a Home Assistant server with CEC component with all of my source inputs attached (e.g. dvd player, zgemma box) in one room and then be able to play those in other rooms (i.e. effectively replace a hardware HDMI matrix?)

If so, will it be possible to have two rooms using 1 source input at the same time?

Many thanks

HDMI CEC is just a control protocol. You still need a HDMI matrix to distribute the video signal.

Thank you and apologies for the delay. Is there advice or tutorial on how to set and control a hdmi matrix via HA?

You will need a matrix that supports CEC. The setup doesn’t look that difficult looking at the CEC-component page.

Apologies for the bump in thread. I have finally got my matrix but realised it is not CEC. However, the matrix has a TCP/IP connection which I can see its IP address - is there any way, I can control the HDMI matrix by connecting to its IP address?

What is in the documentation??? You haven’t provided any information on the device???

I’m sorry - I’m a newbie. I’ve looked at the documentation but am really lost. I’ve managed to install Hass.io on a Pi3 (which is working fine). The HDMI matrix is 4x4 (4 sources inputs to 4 outputs) in different rooms. Therefore, I’m hoping I can use HA to “control” the HDMI matrix so that when I am in 1 room, I can select a source input (as the HDMI matrix is in another room, so the IR remote will not work).

My first step was for Hassio to recognise the matrix but it hasn’t. However, i’ve seen (using Angry IP scanner), that the matrix has an IP address (as its connected to my home network). So wanted to know if my plan to control the HDMI matrix remotely will work with Hassio and how to go about it?

Well that depends on the machine. To get it to work like a media player in Home Assistant you would probably have to write a custom component or a lot of scripts. Whats the brand of the device?

its a HDCVT. can you point me in the right direction where there is a similar script/component that I might try to adapt?

I don’t know sorry, but does the matrix have an IR remote? if so you can buy a broadlink IR blaster($25) and use that to control the matrix.

i had considered ir blaster but ultimately would like to use HA because it will also control other things like webcams etc

does anyone know how I can at least connect it to Hassio by way of IP address?

Hi,

I managed to get a HDMI Matrix and control it through buttons on Home Assistant via IP Address. HDMI matrix I used is:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153059147706

You said the device had a TCP/IP (ethernet???) connection. What does the documentation say you can do with that connection??? Please provide the make and model of the device so someone can at least have a look otherwise everyone is just guessing.

Its a HDCVT 4x4 Matrix (model number: HDM-B44).

The user manual only says the TCP/IP port “is the link for TCP/IP control and connects to an active Ethernet link by an RJ-45 cable”.

It also says elsewhere that “any source is accessible at all times by any display by selecting it via …the TCP/IP”.

As I mentioned, I have connected the TCP/IP by ethernet to my home network and can see it (with an IP address), so I just need to configure it somehow into HA.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I think you will need to find out more about your device.
If you can access it via telnet or ssh, there may be things you can use to test.

I use the following to test if a TV connected to a RPi is on.
echo 'pow 0' | cec-client -t p -p 1 -d 1 -s | tail -n1 | grep 'power' | awk '{print $3}'
And the following to turn it off.
echo "standby 0" | cec-client -s
You will need to find out how to connect to your device and what it expects.

on angry scanner i see an IP address with name “open wrt.local” which is the matrix.

i’ve tried login as root but appears to have a password (tried blank but didn’t work) unless i’m missing something?

If there is nothing in the documentation, a call or email to the reseller or manufacturer might help. Without any hints on how to control this over IP you have nothing.

Hi Zarthan
I got a response from manufacturer stating that they "standard TCP/IP protocol 8000 so you just use the matrix ip address to control the matrix. So when i type the ip address into a web browser, i am able to control the inputs/outputs.

They also sent a document with all of the Hex commands list of the matrix.
Is this going to help?

If you can control it through the web interface you may be able to craft curl strings to do the same. You are likely going to be on your own unless someone else here has the same device. I would do some serious Googling for your device and how to control it. Someone has used it before and has some understanding of how it works. Once you know how to control it, making it work with HA should be relatively easy.

Can anyone help me with this matrix? Where should I start?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01GKFQNG8/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are the IP commands…

http://nohassleav.com/8x8_hdmi_hdr/after_dec_15th/New_simplified_RS232_IP_commands.txt