Headless Pi-0-W hass.io wifi config

Hi im trying to install hass.io on a headless pi-0-w.

i have downloaded the pi-0-w specific image and flashed it to a sd card.

some documentation indicates opening the networking directory on the boot partition of the sd card and editing a resin file or creating a my-network file (if i mis qiote the file names its just because im to weary to go back n check atm…)

the only directory in my boot partition is overlays??

alternative docs suggest plugging in a usb stick with a particular file structure to configure the system at boot up? But i dont have a spare usb slot as my only method of connection is the usb/nic interface for the lan atm.

how should i progress? I can use the usb/nic for setup but its not practical for real world use…

many thanks in advance

What is your use case for installing hassio on a Pi Zero? Given the posts about people migrating from hassio on a Pi3B+ to NAS/NUC/PC to get increased performance, running on a Pi Zero looks troublesome. I have Pi Zeros communicating with hassio running on a Pi 3B+, but they don’t run hassio themselves.

My experience with the Pi Zero is that the wifi is not stable and you have to reboot the system to get it back. That isn’t a statement about HA or Hassio, but even the basic Raspian load. I would recommend a Pi3. It is easy and despite the push for bigger systems, many of us do just fine on the Pi3 platform. I also has more USB ports and ethernet built in, which if you can use it, eliminates any network configuration challenges.

My use case for hassio is that there is a module to communicate with a BOEK/FLOUREON wifi thermostat controller. my current home automation experiments use node red and mosquitto hosted on a Pi-0-w to interface with about 25 esp8266 based devices running tasmota a sonoff rf bridge, a broadlink rm mini, and about 20 bluetooth ble sensors (edit and 433mhz rf sensors/alarms), I already have a 2nd Pi-0-w at hand which extends my bluetooth ble coverage to query all my sensors.

So i hope to control the thermostat by issuing mqtt via node red and having hassio subscribe to and issue the respective thermostat control and also publish the metrics issued.

any wifi issues i have had connecting to pi0-w systems are resolved with an ap/router restart automatically handled with a tasmota socket/switch supplying power to the router.

I tried using a usb hub to connect both usb/nic and a usb drive but i dont have a 5v psu with a suitable jack plug to fit the hub atm. an ebay punt of a 3port usb hub and nic with a micro usb connector proved a bad buy with only a single usb1 port visible (lsusb) when plugged in. Im now considering the £10 option available via the pi distributor…