Heads Up: San Diego Gas & Electric is ditching HAN for smart meters

Just got this email from SDG&E:

On December 1, 2023, technology support for your Home or Business Area Network (HAN) will be discontinued. The HAN equipment is attached to your smart meter and provides real-time energy use information within your home and business. The decision to close the program was based on a combination of low customer adoption and rapidly evolving technology.

Currently connected HAN devices may remain connected until the HAN equipment fails or your smart meter is replaced. If your HAN device fails or becomes disconnected, we will be unable to reconnect the HAN device, and no new home or business devices can be added to the network.

You still have access to your usage data

If you would like a copy of your past energy use through Green Button, you can download your data. Not sure how to download your data? Here are instructions to help you.

You can also review your energy use history in My Account. Log in and click the “usage” tab.

If you have any questions on the change to your Home Area Network, please send us an email at [email protected].

Thank you,

Home Area Network Team

San Diego Gas & Electric

So it looks like things like the Rainforest Eagle are going to keep working as long as your meter/etc does… but after that, you’re SOL. Really a bummer. I guess I’ll have to figure out how to get my Shelly clamp stuff working…

File a complaint with the CPUC.

1 Like

Yeah, pretty ridiculous that the suggested alternative is to download a spreadsheet of historical data from the website. They never really used it to full advantage, such as providing accurate, real time rates. I just ordered an IotaWatt to collect my own data.

1 Like

I’m serious about my post. Supporting these devices is a mandate from CPUC and a quick search doesn’t indicate that this requirement to support HAN devices with smart meters has been rescinded.
While it’s possible I missed something, filing a complaint will get a clear answer- is SDG&E allowed to abandon this support?

Thanks for raising that. I was able to find this, where I think the original mandate was made back in 2011, and I also couldn’t find anything rescinding that requirement. I sent SDG&E an email.

The other benefit of the CPUC complaint is that you’d be able to make clear to the agency that the delayed data coming from green button is not a viable alternative to real time info.

I did write to that email address they provided. Probably leads to little, let’s see. Their letter shows so much laziness and lack of interest to be customer friendly. I guess nothing new really, that’s how they have been for the last 30 years I lived here.

Writing to SDG&E isn’t going to change what happens, New Complaint - CIMSCoreApplication filling out a complaint form with the state regulator is the only thing that has any chance of getting this reversed. While the PUC isn’t perfect, they can be quite effective when the law/regulations are on your side.

True but addressing the company is what needs to happen first. Filing the complaint also asks for this. Anyway, I did also file a complaint with state regulator.

2 Likes

I did raise the issue with SDG&E and filed a complaint with CPUC also highlighting “Decision 11-07-056 July 28, 2011”. Received an answer from CPUC today, that SDG&E is handling all this correctly, and that a plurality of alternatives exist to obtain said data. … Basically a F.Y.

Ugh. That’s no good.

It gets better, SDG&E has (proactively) shut me off it seems. Since dec 19, no more values from the eagle device. That’ll teach ya writing up a complaint.

Sorry to hear that.

I was cut off that morning as well. I suspect they shut the service down. :frowning:

It really sucks too because the actual SMART METER is the best data source for this information.

I had an automation watching for this device to change from unknown to any value. A few hours ago, mine magically came back online. Who knows how long it will last, but it’s providing correct values… hopefully someone rebooted the server, or better yet, they were forced to keep it running. No idea…

Could you post copies your complaint and the CPUC’s response? Also, have you considered sending those to UCAN — Utility Consumers’ Action Network, the nonprofit watchdog that intervenes at the CPUC on behalf of ratepayers in SDG&E’s territory — to see whether they could raise the alarm on this?

Hi all,

I was unaware of this change until my Emporia Vue Utility Connect device stopped updating from my smart meter yesterday (March 17) at noon. I only found out about the SDG&E support change when I contacted Emporia for support.

Has anyone had any success asking SDG&E to support connections from existing HAN devices that were purchased and connected prior to the December 1 change?

I’m pretty frustrated by this. I do not have room to install consumption monitoring clamps in my panel, so this smart meter reader device was my only alternative. Downloading yesterday’s data from Green button is no way to monitor your home energy consumption!

I’m ready to complain to SDG&E but not expecting a lot of concern. Would appreciate pointers from anyone already bashing their heads against this wall.

CPUC nor SDG&E cares, there are just too few people who used these kind of monitoring devices. I’d wouldn’t waste energy pursueing these guys.

A possible alternative route might be to pick up the zigbee signal with an SDR and decode directly. I have a cheapo (20 bucks) SDR laying around for that purpose but no time yet to mess with it.

See this: Get your smart electric, water and gas meter scm readings into home assistant with a RTL-SDR