Heater and air conditioning on same thermostat?

Hey guys.

I am using a generic thermostat with my heater and everything works great. Now I want to add air conditioning and I am looking for advices with the following:

1. Which hardware (AC conditioning) would be best, with a good integration with home assistant?
  2. What is the best approach to have be able to control them both with a single thermostat (and just switching modes from heating to cooling).
    I also consider buying a Nest Thermostat. Would that be a good fit? I think it would control the heater with no issues, but how it would connect to the AC?
    As you can see, I am pretty much confused be the subject, any help is appreciated.

I’ve had nothing but solid performance from my ecobee’s. They are way more open and data-friendly than the Nest ecosystem in my opinion.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, @kreene1987 . Do you think is possible to use them to control both heater and a AC unit from same thermostat?

No question, I do it myself!

1 Like

How does the thermostat control the AC? I ask because I dont know if I should look for a specific AC unit. I see that Daikin integrates well with HA, but maybe I should look for something specific, like wire control?
@kreene1987

My personal installation is a 4-wire control signal, with common, 24V supply, circulation fan, and compressor call. Ecobee has all of their wiring diagrams available on the internet.

the heater uses the same Common, 24V, circulation fan, but then heat call Stage 1 and heat call stage 2.

1 Like

Here’s another vote for Ecobee. Love mine (two of them) for the last several years. Manages both heating and cooling all year long.

One more vote for Ecobee over Nest. Easier to install and operate. Easier to access your data. I used to have 4 Nests. All replaced by Ecobees when Google started to break everything. 3 of my 4 are used for both heating and cooling. One is heat only.