Heater-Cooler accessory type support

Currently only climate is supported. I want heater-cooler support as I do not use a thermostat.

Heater-cooler accessory type also support additional configuration not available in climate like air swing/oscillation and fan speed.

Errr yes climate supports air swing, oscillation and fan speed.

2 Likes

Home assistant needs to support a new homekit accessory type, currently climate is mapped to Thermostat and it needs to offer HeaterCooler as an additional option Apple Developer Documentation

1 Like

Climate supports both heating an cooling.

No, what I’m saying is that climate could be mapped to 2 types of Homekit services: Thermostat or HeaterCooler. Homeassistant only supports exposing climate as Thermostat, but it would be great if we could choose which HK service to use when exposing it.

Services in HK related to climate:

Additional characteristics HeaterCooler supports on top of Thermostat (fan & swing):

Hope this helps to clarify the request.

3 Likes

I second this request.

The reasons are

1. heater-cooler integrates fan swing and fan speed better

2. Siri. We use an air conditioner for both heating and cooling. Unlike a thermostat, it’s normally turned off until bedtime or you are staying in the room. So when I tell Siri to “turn on the bedroom air-conditioner (name of the device)”, a heater-cooler would default to the last mode setting, whereas if it’s a thermostat Siri will say “cooling the house…” and turn to cooling mode in the winter! You would have to specify “turn on heater in the bedroom” otherwise results are kind of unpredictable and messes up all the presets.

2 Likes

This would be wonderful. We have Daikin heat pumps whose fan speed and swing settings are presently not exposed properly to HomeKit.

Adding my vote to support this. I’m using Mitsubishi2MQTT on our heat pumps and would love to have full control of all the modes, fans, and vanes. I tried using MQTTThing in Homebridge, which does use the Heater Cooler setting, but I’m having other configuration issues with it.