Heating oil monitoring

Hi
has anyone got any suggestions for a cost effective solution to monitoring heating oil level with the ultimate goal of managing usage and costs?

Ultrasonic would work. But as for now, I don’t know if you can use it thru the tank cover without drilling holes.
As this is IMHO a safety application I would switch to explosive protected EX sensors. (German signs: Explosionsschutz – Wikipedia)

I am considering measuring the exact level using one of the following

1. a load sensor under the tank
  2. a float with a potentiometer
  3. ultrasonic

The measurement would need to be very accurate for managing usage and costs.
I am hoping to find a solution that would be easily integrated and cost effective.

This is a good question, I’m interested as well.

I found this thing: https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Oil-Gauge-Wi-Fi-Heating/dp/B01M2VATHS/

Not exactly cost effective though. I also contacted that company, and they don’t offer an API, so it would be tough to integrate the data in Home Assistant. They did say they had a lot of requests for an API, and were considering it though.

Unfortunately I have a 600 Gallon tank which is outside (as they legally have to be for house insurance).
The cost also would put me off but at least it is an option.
Thanks for your prompt reply :slight_smile:

Oh, hmm, I didn’t see the “indoor use only” thing! Well, my tank is outside too, so I guess that’s not an option!

Well this has been updated for their products:

It also has an alexa skill:

https://www.smartoilgauge.com/learn/#tabheader1

Interesting.

Anyone have any insight on this?

I am ordering one today and was looking to integrate it into my HA.

Depending on your DIY level…

Get an automotive fuel sender. “GM style” are dirt cheap as they are used for most aftermarket gauges.

Extend the float arm so suite your tank.

Connect up to Arduino on analog pin, configured as voltage divider.

Read analog value, publish via MQTT (use Ethernet, that way you can power though same wire).

1 Like

I’m tracking the time the oil heater is on. This gives an estimate on the oil consumption, which can be further processed. Next wish to include the data in the Energy section of the HAOS.

1 Like

Hi,
any progress integrating this device in HA?

1 Like

So you can measure the consumption of heating oil using a meter like the Braun Hz-5 Braun HZ5 Heating Oil Meter, 0.7 - 40.0 LPH - Welcome to Oilybits U.K.
(or they do another which has a digital rather than a mechanical read out)

For the level in a tank, you can get a Hydrostatic Pressure sensor which is submerged in the bottom of the tank and measures the weight of the column of liquid on top of it. They do these with 0-10v / 4-20ma outputs, and so there is loads of hardware that will read it. My system is KNX based and so I am using a KNX analogue input… these guys are really helpful:

http://www.oleuk.com/en/category/tank-level-sensors

have a look to my project

Hi Folks, I’m new here but interested in the thread for oil tank monitoring. I have a Watchman Sensit but have always been a bit sceptical on their accuracy due to the variations in oil tank designs and there doesn’t seem to be options to compensate for horizontal cylindrical tanks. To calibrate the tank volumes against the ultrasonic depth measurements requires a physical tank dip at regular intervals, which can be a pain, so I designed this dipstick. Not sure if it’s any use but it cost less than £20 to make and 3D print and I can do a daily dip check in under 30 seconds.
Link here. 2" Heating oil tank Dip Stick cap by Gnattycole - Thingiverse