Hello from a HomeSeer HS4 Refugee

I changed the values as you suggested but only the Home Security device is detected. The Luminance and Temperature still do not show up in HA.

Also here are the device types for the WD200+ and WS200+ switches

WD200+ = Z-Wave Switch Multilevel
WS200+ = Z-Wave Switch Binary

Strange. Can you put the following in your configuration.yaml file and then restart HA?

logger:
  default: info
  logs:
    homeassistant.core: debug
    asyncio: debug
    custom_components.homeseer: debug
    pyhs3: debug

PM me the log output instead of posting it here. I don’t know if you have any sensitive info in your logfile but I don’t want to chance it.

Once you’ve collected the log data, remove the logger section from your configuration.yaml file and reboot to keep your logs from growing quickly.

Just wanted to circle back and catch everyone up with what was going on with Andy’s setup. He had cloned my git repo but was still on the master branch.

To get to the latest code do the following:

cd <config_dir>/custom_components/
git clone  https://github.com/kmitch95120/homeseer.git
cd homeseer
git checkout -b additional-sensors

This will switch you to the feature branch that has the latest sensor support. I’m working with Mark (marthoc) on getting this merged into the master branch.

1 Like

Thanks for all the help Ken!

Ken,
Just want to make sure. The HS3 Custom Component for HA only supports HS3. It does not support HS4. Correct?

Hi Tsylor,

Hmm. That’s a good question. The homeseer component relies heavily on a package called pyhs3, which handles the ASCII and JSON interfaces to HS3. I don’t suspect those interfaces have changed, but the one area that could have changed is the initial device dump that’s done using “getstatus” via the JSON interface. I haven’t worked with HS4 much beyond an early beta, but I understand the device object model has changed significantly. We might need a pyhs4 package.

If you want to run a quick test with pyhs3 and send me the output I can take a look at it closer.

git clone https://github.com/marthoc/pyhs3.git
cd pyhs3
python3 ./example.py <IP address of HS machine> 

This should dump a list of all supported Z-Wave devices as well as all of the events, using the JSON interface, and then start listening for device updates via the ASCII interface.

Send me a PM and I’ll give you an email to send the output to.

I’m looking at going back to HS3 to manage ZWave devices since I’m having issues with zwave2mqtt with HA…haven’t done it yet…but would use HS3 since that’s where I came from. Was asking about HS4 only for awareness.

Ah, OK. It was worth having a look at in any case. With a bit of creative coding, pyhs3 could become pyhs3+ and figure out what HS version it is talking to by checking the “Version” name/value pair in the JSON response to GetStatus. Since it’s pyhs3 that creates the “Hometroller” object used by the homeseer custom component, I don’t thiink the component would need to change but, if it did, those changes should be minor.

I’m also moving from HS3 after 5 years and after trying HS4. I actually bought the upgrade last year when they were heavily discounting it. But after trying HS4 when it was released in July, I quickly found it wasn’t going to meet what I wanted to. They were kind enough to refund my money and really have nothing bad to say about HS or their support. It had always been good for me.

I was just disappointed that with a major release of promise of Zigbee, Smartthings, and other integrations, that those were really limited.

So back to HA I am. I had tried HA a couple of years ago and really didn’t have the time to move things over. HA has come a long way since then, but it still isn’t as plug and play as HS, but HA is way more powerful and pretty much integrates with anything.

I’m currently in the process of moving my HS3 devices (mainly ZWave) and haven’t been able to get my HSM200 Multisensor to detect motion. I’ve read where the colored light is also an issue, but I’m not too concerned with that right now, but would like to get the motion working. I using a pi4 with OpenZwave. Any ideas?

I have a HS-MS100+ Motion Sensor that works well with zwave2mqtt but don’t have the HSM200. Some of my HS-WD100+ dimmers don’t work as welll…so considering going back to HS3 and the ZNET with the pyhs3 custom component for HA. The OZW Beta for HA is not mature enough in my opinion - but would like to know your experience with it,

@taylormia (and others) - There’s a limitation of pyhs3 I wanted to point out. The package assumes a one-to-one relationship between an HS device and an HA entity. In other words, an HS composite device, such as a Z-Wave thermostat, would appear as several individual sensors and controls in HA. It would be a significant change to pyhs3 to create an HA device with multiple entities.

I’ve never found this to be a problem since my automations primarily either control the thermostat mode or a setpoint, which are both individual entities.

@kenm that’s good to know and I don’t see it as a problem either. Does the pyhs3 component support non-zwave devices. How many zwave devices do you have? how stable is the connection between HA and HS3 with pyhs3? Did you have zwave issues with HA that are not a problem anymore with pyhs3?
I have just over 50 zwave devices and moving them back to HS3 will be a big task. Just want to make sure I’m doing the right thing.

pyhs3 only supports Z-Wave devices and only specific device types. Of course, support for additional device types can be added as I’m doing right now for “Z-Wave Switch Color”.

For non-zwave devices, I use mcsMQTT on the HS3 side, if the device isn’t supported natively in HA. Philips Hue, Logitech Harmony, etc. are used in parallel on both systems, with some events/automations running on each.

pyhs3 uses the HS3 ASCII and JSON interfaces which are both very stable. Of course, this will depend on how stable your home network is, but that’s the same for MQTT as well.

I just added my 80th node. I never moved my Z-Wave network to HA because of it being such a HUGE task. My Z-Wave network on HS3 is rock solid and I’ve had no new stability issues caused by using pyhs3. I have a Z-Net controller centrally located close to the center of the house.

thanks for the detail. will let you know how it goes

I’m on HA v.113.3 and HS3 v. 548. I followed the instructions to install the pyhs3 custom component. I’m getting the following error. Any help will be appreciated.

From the log:

Here’s my configuration.yaml section for the homeseer custom component:

# HomeSeer Custom Component
homeseer:
  host: 10.10.10.155
  namespace: homeseer
  http_port: 80
  ascii_port: 11000
  username: !secret hs3_username
  password: !secret hs3_password
  name_template: '{{ device.name }}'
  allow_events: False 

My custom_components dir structure is this after doing the “git clone”:

What kind of environment are you running in? HA can’t seem to find the pyhs3 module. I ran into this a week or so ago when I did a fresh install on a Raspberry Pi. An HA restart didn’t fix the problem but it did get resolved after I had to do a full host shutdown and restart. That was with 0.113.1 so it may be related.

Thanks Ken. I’m running HA on Docker…and this resolved itself after I restarted the HA container. I’m getting these warnings - should I be concerned?

I only have two Aoetec Gen 6 ZWave Extenders on the HS3 ZNET now. Plan on adding devices slowly and testing tomorrow

I also keep getting this error on HS3. 10.10.10.25 is my HA instance.

Aug-04 5:13:07 PM   Warning  ASCII command rejected, IP 10.10.10.25 not authorized 

I used my HS3 web login admin username and password in the configuration.yaml and am getting:

Aug-04 5:22:24 PM   Info   ASCII connection authorization FAILED, no user or bad pass from IP: 10.10.10.25 for user "my HS3 admin username" 

I run HS3 on a Win10 VM. What username and password should I use here?

Do you have the ASCII interface enabled on the Tools->Setup->Network, Remote Control Settings in HS? I created a user/pass just for HA on the Tools->Setup->Network page in HS.

EDIT: Might be a firewall setting you have to allow for Win10.