Hello from a HomeSeer HS4 Refugee

Yes. I Have ASCII enabled. I added a new user/password for HA as you suggested…and its working now. Thanks

I’ll update the code in the next release so those warning messages will go away. Devices and entities have evolved in HA.

Since I don’t know when those classes are actually being deprecated, I’d suggest not going to 0.114 until I get the next release out. I’ll prioritize that over the support I’m working on the Z-Wave Switch Color.

The finer things of HS. I can’t find it in the documentation anywhere but I wonder if they block an Admin account from logging into the ASCII interface. I had a very similar problem and that’'s why I created the separate user.

Thanks for the heads up about v. 114.

I only say that because I wouldn’t expect them to deprecate on a point release but I could see it on a major release.

@kenm This is an example of a Homeseer HS-WD100+ dimmer with HA device and entities created with zwave2mqtt .

What can I expect for device and entity names for this dimmer when pyhs3 creates the device after I include the device in HS3 and name it “sofa-table-lamp”. This is the name_template: ‘{{ device.name }}’ in configuration.yaml.

I want to make sure that my entity names in HA follow the same nomenclature as the device name. Will that happen with pyhs3 with the device.name template

pyhs3 only handles the interfacing with HS. It’s the homeseer custom component that creates the entities based on the data from pyhs3.

Yes, entity naming is controlled by the name_template. See this link for more information: https://github.com/marthoc/homeseer#name-template

Of course, the entity name can also be edited manually since the entity_id is unique. This is useful if you move a device location within HS and want to update the name is HA.

I didn’t see this post when I posted my previous post. That is an example of an HA device with multiple entities associated with it. That is not how pyhs3 works. I’m not sure what the related entities are. Can you show me what the root and child devices look like on the HS device page?

@kenm That device is not in HS…only in HA via zwave2mqtt.
Let me ask the question with a different example:

Here’s an Aeon ZWave Extender info in HS3. The device name “family-room-repeater” was assigned by me during the inclusion process in Z-Tool+ - but the child devices names are created automatically.

As a result of the HS3 Custom Component - the “Light” HS3 child device gets created in HA and named automatically as “light.light” - although I can rename the entity name as shown here.

I can go into HS3 and change the names of the child devices to follow the same nomenclature as the device name - but since HA has already created the entity - it would not change the name of the entity_id.

I would like the entity_id to be named something like “light.family-room-repeater-light
But, I believe for that to happen, I have to:

1. Disable the HS3 Custom Component in HA
  2. Include the device in HS3 and name the main device and child devices as desired.
  3. Enable the HS3 Custom Component and restart HA for the entities and entity_ids to be created in HA with the names assigned in HS3

Can you tell me if this is the only way to get the entity_ids named the way I want?

To answer your first question, the homeseer custom component assigns a unique ID to each entity when it creates it. Don’t confuse this with the entity_id. The unique ID is a combination of the Namespace string and the devref in HS. You can go into Configuration->Entities in HA, click on an entity and edit it’s name and entity_id as you wish. You just can’t change the first part of the entity_id to the left of the “.” (i.e. sensor, light, etc.).

For the second question, You don’t need to disable and enable the custom component when adding devices to HS. You only need to do 2 and then restart HA. The component detects new devices and creates the new entities based on the name_template you specify in your configuration.yaml file.

Just edit the entity_id in Configuration->Entities.

Thanks. I was making this harder than it needed to be :grinning:
Didn’t know I could change the entity_id.

Some Great News for HomeSeer users. (Well, at least I think it is)

• My additional-sensors branch has been merged into marthoc’s repo so the master branch at https://github.com/marthoc/homeseer is now the latest code.

• After chatting with Mark (marthoc) we agreed that pyhs3 should be expanded to support composite devices. This of course, will require changes to the homeseer custom component as well. We’ll start with the thermostat and color switch devices in HS.

But first, I need to fix the warnings regarding the deprecated device classes.

Does it require a restart of HA after every ZWave device is added in HS3 - or will the custom component add the HA devices automatically any time a HS3 ZWave device is added?
Is a HA restart required to delete a HA device when the corresponding HS3 ZWave device is removed/deleted?

New HS devices are only detected and added at startup so a restart is required. If multiple new devices are added to HS, a single restart will add them all to HA.

The component does not delete HA entities. In order to delete an entity in HA, remove/delete from HS, restart HA, and then delete the abandoned HA entity.

Thanks Ken, that helps clear things up and helps me plan the move of my zwave devices back to HS3.

@taylormia - Before you start the move, I highly recommend using Jon00’s DeviceList tool to export all of your devices and compare the “Device Type (String)” for your Z-Wave devices to the homeseer component’s supported types. That way you won’t be surprised if something doesn’t come over to HA from HS3.

Here’s a list of devices that are currently supported:

DEVICE_ZWAVE_BARRIER_OPERATOR = "Z-Wave Barrier Operator"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_BATTERY = "Z-Wave Battery"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_CENTRAL_SCENE = "Z-Wave Central Scene"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_DOOR_LOCK = "Z-Wave Door Lock"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_FAN_STATE = "Z-Wave Fan State"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_LUMINANCE = "Z-Wave Luminance"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_OPERATING_STATE = "Z-Wave Operating State"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_RELATIVE_HUMIDITY = "Z-Wave Relative Humidity"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_SENSOR_BINARY = "Z-Wave Sensor Binary"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_SWITCH = "Z-Wave Switch"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_SWITCH_BINARY = "Z-Wave Switch Binary"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL = "Z-Wave Switch Multilevel"
DEVICE_ZWAVE_TEMPERATURE = "Z-Wave Temperature"

@kenm - Thanks. I would have done that if I still had all my devices on HS3. I don’t. I have them all on zwave2mqtt. So I have to move them to HS3 one by one to start - until I’m comfortable with the result.
Then will include multiple devices into HS3 and restart HA to get the entities in HA via the custom component.
I moved a Homeseer HS-WD100+ dimmer (Z-Wave Switch Multilevel) today and the result was good in HA. Also figured out the Central Scene HA events to use in HA automations when double or triple tapping the dimmer. I use YAML configs for all my automations. I have to make sure I name my HS3 devices accordingly so that the event_id is not changed and does not affect existing automations.

Looking at my list of devices below in zwave2mqtt, I don’t think I’ll have a problem with the supported list of device types of the HS3 custom component - but we’ll just have to see:

The Ecolink tilt sensor “Security Notification” may give you some trouble. If you scroll back a bit you’ll see that someone got it working by changing the Device Type (String) to Z-Wave Sensor Binary. I have Vision Security Tilt Sensors and they have a separate child device for notification (0-255) and Alert (binary).

@kenm Has the representation of Zwave Central Scene changed to show as a separate entity in HA rather than an Event as documented in the custom component page? For the dimmer that I have added to HS3 - the Central Scene is represented as an Event. I’m using version 0.4 of the custom component.