Help adding IKEA light strips to Home Assistant

What’s with the attitude? Your “hints” are not any improvements over a single coordinator, you introduce complexity, compatibility issues and potential radio interference with your “hints”, it’s just bad advice.

1st of all i didn’t mention IKEA as “multiple” but as 1 single Coordinator which many people buy as a first choice when they are shopping IKEA lights/devices( and why not ?, they only use it from the app, on and off), and then When they “Discover HA”, there is really no reason to throw it in the bin, spite the fact it’s “currently” very basic, i.e and you can’t change Zigbee Channel in it ( worse kind of equipment, i and many would say), THOU i works for basic IKEA devices, think ahead. ( struggle a little ) . when you decide to go into HA and “expand” your system, you should NOT “currently” choose a IKEA-Coordinator as main Device … AND believe me if you choose to use 1 Single coordinator( in 1 integration), for lights, important thermostats/sensors, for heating/ventilation, other “fragile” household/company equipment etc etc.etc., in multilevel building with i.e distant annexes, “sealed/fireproof” Basement or Garage., then it’s no longer your imagination you have to struggle with … anyway your “visit” in this topic having added anything to the OP’s question

Again, what’s with the attitude? My property is just as you describe as a special setup with the need of multiple zigbee networks, and it is just plain wrong that best approach is several coordinators. There is no issue with coverage with a single coordinator with 70+ devices paired. No issues when I only had 10 router devices paired either.
Your claim of a single point of failure might have some merit, but what regular household has no other single points of failure other than their zigbee coordinator? Of the top of my head I can mention modems, routers, switches, all regularly set up as single points of failure. Most of them more troublesome being down than a zigbee coordinator.

The best solution to your proposed problem would be adding routers (either for example devices powered by mains (thermostats, bulbs) or USB-sticks flashed with router firmware, not several separate coordinators with their own networks. That’s also why I would not recommend going for a IKEA / Hue / whatever hub, but use ZHA or Z2M so you get more support for devices that you might want to implement further down the line. It’s cheaper too (at least in my country).

There are multiple Topics handling/discussing this and i.e “best way or not” (which in he end could be a personal/premises depending solution) … i’m out, im sure OP have got some info to his initially request

Yes, I’ve ordered a ConBee II to replace the Echo Plus connected door latch and Sinopé connected thermostats and dimmers as these requires internet connection to work. I’ll connect my IKEA driver to it as well but leave the Hue hub alone as I sometimes use their app and the hub doesn’t need internet connection.

Thanks all for your input.

1 Like

Take a look at https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/ (It supports Conbee 2 but it’s experimental). I used to run it on Conbee 2 myself, didn’t have any issues. It does not require internet connection. You can replace your Hue hub with it, it also supports firmware upgrading Hue.

Are there different types of TRÅDFRI Driver? Asking because although I’ve installed my ConBee II stick, configured deCONZ (through the Addon store) app and I’ve pressed the reset button on the TRÅDFRI Driver, it doesn’t see my driver when I search for it :frowning: Am I doing something wrong?

Ok, managed to assigned the driver (wasn’t pressing for 10 seconds the reset button) and remote to deCONZ and they are now working within its environment (ie, remote dims the light). However, I do not see them in HA. I’ve restarted HA and they are still not showing. I didn’t setup the ConBee II integration. Not sure if it would conflicts with deCONZ. So I need to set it up or is there something else I must do for the light/switch to show up in HA?

Ok, so I think I need to add the deCONZ integration. I got the IP address of the deCONZ app on the upper right of the Phoscon-GW

And entered that in the integration. I left the port at 80. In the Phoscon console, I went to Phoscon UI click Settings → Gateway → Advanced and pressed the “Authenticate app” button. I then pressed Submit in the integration and got the following Couldn't get an API key.

Do I have the right host/port?

I’m getting close but still need some help.

Got the port through the log file after a restart of the deCONZ app. They show up now :slight_smile:

Now that I’ve started to crawl the web for answers, one question remains, I saw there are different ways to add ConBee II connected devices to HA, is deCONZ the best one? It was a bit painful to setup I need to add my Sinopé Thermostats/dimmers and my Weiser deadbolt to it. Not sure if another method would be better. Would it?

I started using deconz a while back, but because of lack of support for several devices I wanted to use down the line I switched to zigbee2mqtt. I had some issues with the firmware on the conbee2 so I switched to zzh.

Zzh, I assume you mean ZHA? I was unable to get my IKEA driver to be seen by ZHA. Only the remote was seen. I tried paring for over two hours trying different combinations and restart/reboot and nothing worked :slightly_frowning_face:

No, I mean the adapter zzh (CC2652R Stick) - Electrolama

To clarify, you don’t need another adapter to run z2m, I chose to change to zzh because of the firmware issues I had.

Ikea might not(most likely not) uses the same Zigbee-Channel as ZHA … ikea default is 11, zha, i believe is 15 … could be the root-cause of your problems
EDIT: actually first i was annoyed by Ikea’s choice, but like any other things you don’t have control over … Adapt.
So Ikea for me will for ever be " Unimportant devices" bed-light/lead-light/hall etc. etc., what ever where i have an arms reach/or couple of steps to the switch/remote . Again i don’t see any reasons to ditch my Ikea-hub, it doesn’t interfere with current Aqara-Hub ( Zigbee-channel 15), nor, 2.4 Wifi-devices

I didn’t get a IKEA Gateway. I wanted to use the ConBee II I got. I thought about the chanel but the remote pairs so I think I have the right chanel.

Database of Zigbee devices compatible with ZHA, Tasmota, Zigbee2MQTT, deCONZ, ZiGate and ioBroker here’s a list over ZHA / Z2M ++ supported devices.

If you don’t have to start re-pairing alot of devices my suggestion is to check out Zigbee2MQTT.

Supported Adapters | Zigbee2MQTT read what is stated in the Conbee-section.