Help adding IKEA light strips to Home Assistant

Hi, I have light strips connected to a 10W driver

That I currently control through a dimmer

What am I missing to control this light in Homes Assistant, if it’s at all possible.

Thanks.

if you have the ikea-gateway, i’ts easy to add it through the ikea-integration, IKEA TRÅDFRI - Home Assistant , though i’ve seen other posts in here where people adds ikea-devices through other integrations ( Not using the ikea-gateway )

Do you have a zigbee coordinator?

I’m using this driver with a conbee II stick and deconz with HA.

What is the IKEA Gateway? Something IKEA sells or third party?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=ikea+gateway

No ZigBee coordinator. So a Conber II stick can see the 10W driver directly?

yes it’s zigbee coordinater, so most likely conbee is a more “allround” choise as ikea’s is very basic

Thanks. I forgot to add, I do have a Philips Hue V2 bridge. Can this be successfully used to pair to the 10W driver? I tried last year when I first installed it and never managed to get it to see the driver.

dunno, i don’t have Phillips Bridge

It doesn’t have to be the conbee II, just check the different options: Search results for 'Philips Hue bridge' - Home Assistant Community

I have actually three ZigBee bridges. One in an Alexa Echo Plus (where my Weiser Smart lock is connected to), one in my Sinopé GT130 bridge (for my thermostats and dimmers) and the last one in my Philips Hue bridge for well, Hue lights and motion sensors. Just ordered a ConBee II and I’ll try to replace all of them with that one.

i actually don’t see the benefit in building 1 huge/filled, complex single point of failure, if 1 bogus device/configuration/automation causes the Coordinator to “hang” or other-vice fail to function, more devices/automation’s etc suffers , i’ll keep my ikea mainly basic lights/and few switches, within the house, currently Aqara for temps, motion sensors, and door/window sensors, My Router, and local-tuya/tapo/etc. takes care of the WIFI-Devices, eventually i might add a conbee II, if “Matter” doesn’t cause a “revolution” in the market-flow of coordinators, before i get to point of controlling the more “fragile” parts of my system, i.e heating/ventilation-system, water-supply-system

I understand your point.

My main reason to concentrate them is geared toward the Sinopé bridge which HA integration requires internet access to work as the HACS integration doesn’t speak to the bridge directly but through their internet service. In other words, my thermostats requires the web to operate correctly, which I don’t particularly like.

My other concern is the Weiser lock being integrated with the Echo Plus means I can’t see its status in HA, only through Alexa and I would like to change that.

yeah, for sure 2 good/valid cases to use HA and local-options coordinators/integrations

1 Like

The upside to having one zigbee coordinator instead of several is that you get better coverage and less interference. I’ve never experienced that a bogus device or automation causes the coordinator to hang.

I think there are better options then a conbee II now.

Which are?

depending upon your needs , as an example(2) , currently ikea-gateway only supports zigbee( and mainly their own devices (their predefined Channel) , Aqara M2 has Zigbee ( on another default Channel), + BLE, it is also an IR-Blaster, and it has beside wifi even Ethernet connection, which is brilliant, if you have distant/“isolated” garage, or a basement with fireproof ceiling.
I don’t remember where, but i saw somewhere a “Zigbee” Coordinator, that beside Zigbee, supported + RF 433MHz , 8xx MHz, and a third … Google is your best friend :wink:
EDIT: Ikea has also Ethernet connection, both my Coordinators are “Wired”, don’t disturb/load the 2.4GHz frequency , which is another worthy aspect, as-well as No USB3.0 “frequency” 2.4GHz interference , place your Coordinator where it’s most suitable. It’s very easy to build( If needed) a " network " with i.e 3 different Zigbee-Coordinators, on different Channels, in Different parts of your home, that won’t “disturb” eachother

It’s very easy to build( If needed) a " network " with i.e 3 different Zigbee-Coordinators, on different Channels, in Different parts of your home, that won’t “disturb” eachother

I’m struggling to see the benefits of splitting your Zigbee network into three separate ones using IKEA-coordinators and so on when a single CC2652R or similar running Z2M gives you one network with support for “everything everywhere”.

i do believe i gave you ( and others) a few hints above, if your imagination can’t catch up, keep strugling