Help Configuring Parameters for Aeotec Garage Door Controller

I have an Aeotec garage door controller (AEOEZW062) that is able to play different sounds when opening/closing the door. I have several loaded up on the controller and had it working when it was paired up to my SmartThings hub with custom integration. That hub has since died and I moved everything over to HA. I was trying to change the parameter using the new Z-Wave JS: configuration parameter service…but it keeps telling me an ID can’t be found. I am using these instructions…

http://manuals-backend.z-wave.info/make.php?lang=en&type=&sku=AEOEZW062

I select the device as the target, then tried one of the parameters. Tried both the number and titles listed…but no dice. I am sure I am doing something wrong…any suggestions?

Can you post the YAML service data your are trying to use?

Thank you for the reply! I have the below, not sure what to put for the value. The manual says 256-356. I only have about 5-6 alarm tones stored on the alarm controller. I tried a few numbers, but it keeps giving me a configuration with an ID parameter not found error.

service: zwave_js.set_config_parameter
data:
  value: 
  parameter: '38'
target:
  entity_id:
    - switch.garage_door

Parameter 38 is a “partial” parameter. Zwave-js splits the single parameter it different parts. You’ll need to use the bitmask field and pick the specific value you want. See the device db: https://devices.zwave-js.io/?jumpTo=0x0086:0x0003:0x003e:0.0

E.g. to enable the alarm you’d use bitmask 0xff and value 1.

1 Like

Bingo, got it all worked out! Thank you so much for the link, that was a HUGE help.

do you see the garage door positioning in HA? i only got the switch into HA over zwavejs2mqtt?

Did you include it securely?

Position shows for me. I included it via Zwave JS.

i’m afraid not. whats the difference and how to include it securely?
i just pressed the button at the aeotec stick and the button at the aeotec garage controller.

i only have the switch.garage in Home Assistant. the cover shows up in the remote z-wave js server (raspberry pi) but not at my Home Assistant VM that is connected through MQTT.

You shouldn’t add devices through the stick, in fact you can’t with secure devices. Use the software. You need to exclude it and include it again with security enabled.

i removed all devices from the stick but stick itself shows “No” at the Secure tab and in the debug info it says that it doesnt support security?! is there anything i have to do to get it support security? i assigned a network key, shouldnt be much more?

and are you really shure the problem with not showing up the cover state is security related? even if all other devices and sensors show up in Home Assistant? and the cover also is shown in z-wave js server?

i got the secure inclusion working but its pretty confusion that the controller itself shows up with secure=no and not supported.

and i switched from mqtt to websocket connection.

i removed all devices from the stick but stick itself shows “No” at the Secure tab and in the debug info it says that it doesnt support security?!

The controller will never say secure. That property is meant for other nodes which can be added securely. It doesn’t make sense to be a property for the controller, but it is.

and are you really shure the problem with not showing up the cover state is security related?

Yes, the question was asked for a reason. Your symptom is exactly the behavior that occurs when you include something w/o security. The device will refuse to support some functionality when not included securely, but non-secure functionality will work fine. For garage door openers, if not secure it won’t support open and closing of the door, for locks it won’t support unlocking and locking.

1 Like

thanks for that information, now everything is a bit more clear for me :slight_smile:

suprisingly i could open and close the garage door through Home Assistant with no problem. Just the sensor wasnt exposed to HA that tells if the door is opening or closing.

The Aeotec provides a switch and barrier operator (cover entity) to control the door. It’s possible the switch is supported with or without security, I’ve never tried it. Barrier operator requires security.

1 Like

i upgraded my zwavejs2mqtt docker and messed up with the device path (new suggested serial path). after getting everything up and running again it told me that the device is s0 capable but there’s no key set. also the control over Home Assistant didnt work anymore. i noticed empty security keys in the configuration so i regenerated them and removed the device and added it again.

no matter if i choose s2, s2 with s0 fallback, forced security - after the including process i get “node xx added with security: none”. i cant get it included with at least s0 security. any suggestions what could be the problem? @freshcoast

i can controll everything without security and also the cover shows up in Home Assistant. but it feels kinda unsafe.

Try including with the S0 option.

1 Like

it worked after a update of the whole zwavejs2mqtt.