Help Connecting WiFi Switch to sliding gate

Hello all

I have a sliding gate and willing to add a WiFi switch to it. I don’t know how, the product is Chinese, Seller sent me connection diagram but I can’t understand it, it’s confusing :confused:( I am not an electrician)

If you can please help me connect this part to the gate’s motor’s electric-board, I’ll be grateful!
*(I have seen some projects of connecting wifi to gates but seems every product has its specific connections)
I am attaching sellers connection diagram and motor’s manufacturer instructions, thought it would help :smile:

As far as I know, motor’s circuit is partly 24volts and 230volts, The motor itself receives 230volts (Ac motor)
This is a Link to all pictures in my drive folder :
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lYjZzPdrWObErOIFCWbEAfwfukCUCPR2?usp=sharing

I hope you have the time to help me out :slight_smile:

It’s pretty simple. You get any wifi switch with dry contacts (relay output, no voltage), then connect relay contacts to pins 8 and 12 - step by step means open-stop- close-stop, or if you don’t have stop in between then just open-close. If you short pins 8 and 12 gate should move (this is meant for pushbutton).
If you wish to have separate open and close commands you need wifi module with two relays. Then connect relay to 6-12 for open and 7-12 for close.

Hi,
Thank you, are you sure?
The diagram the seller sent me seems complicated… The minus wire goes to the motor’s neutral for some reason and the live wire is connected also to the other end of the relay part, why is that?

Should I connect as the seller say? I am afraid it will short circuit the board which would cost me a lot of money

Best suggestion here would likely be to hire a professional.
Going half-blind with 5V and sub $5 component is one thing, 230v and a gate is another :wink:

1 Like

Hi

Thanks again for the help! Appreciated
My gate operates on remotes(RF) and can be opened/closed and stopped in the middle whenever I want (by the remote)

This wifi part has 2 relays… It would be better of course if I can do the same functions as with the remote control but with the Wifi option

So how should I connect the wires? Can you please consider the inching function and interlock ? What are they, do I need them?

Thank you a lot

I bought a 230 volts wifi, since I didn’t see were to get 12 volts from the main board.

Maybe it was a mistake, i don’t know :cry:

It’s nothing complicated (for me) after 12 years of doing that daily… :grinning:
It’s like i told you. Just make sure that relay outputs will be “dry contacts”, that means without ANY voltage, only short circuit. Those inputs are basically push buttons. For test short 6 and 12 - gate will open. Short 7 and 12 - gate will close. etc…
And, yes, relay must have “inching function” → relay must short pins just for second or two. then release.

Hi dear,

“Just make sure that relay outputs will be “dry contacts”, that means without ANY voltage, only short circuit”
But connections 6 and 12 are 24 volts am I wrong? how should I make sure it get dry contact? (you mean I should short 6 and 12 before connecting the relay to them?) shorting 6 and 12 gives dry contact?

Are You say inching function comes as a standard with the Wifi part? Without any relation to wiring the part?

In the picture below the seller says I should connect the live wire also to both relays in order to get interlock function (which contradicts your dry contact note)
Do I need interlock function?

I don’t mind if it’s one channel or two channels do the job, I simply want to open, stop (wherever I want), close, that’s it

Thank u :relaxed:

what i mean is that RELAY output must be without any voltage. PCB on your picture is like that, so it’s ok - when activated it just make a short circuit between C and NO. Just DON’T connect that red wire to L contact as drawn. You just connect, say NO output of relay to 6(and 7 for second relay), and both C contacts to 12.
Gate electronics have, of course certain voltage in the contacts, that’s quite normal - voltage on those contacts can be anywhere between 5 and 24V. What i wanted to say is that you must not connect, say, a wifi module which outputs, say, 230V when activated.

Inching can be activated in ewelink app, there you can set time - seti it to 1s and you’re ok.

Here it’s drawn quickly:

1 Like

You are the best!! Thank youu very much!

As of my understanding Inching is the contact period the relay closes the circuit?

And it should be Only for some seconds?

In the connection you sent me, does pressing open opens the gate till the end or can it be stopped by pressing another time? How can I accomplish that? With the step/step?

Thank you,

Yes ,inching is in other words timed relay (pulsed relay). You set inching to 1 second, it’s quite enough.

For intermediate stop depends a bit from gate electronics type. In this case you use only first relay and connect it to 8 - step/step input (instead of 6) and 12. Second relay is not needed in this case, contacts 6 and 7 are not used in this case.
Then, as said, depends on gate electronics, but usually goes like this: first pulse will open gate, second will stop, third will close gate, fourth will again stop gate. I believe that function will be the same as it is with your remote control. you can test it with a piece of wire and make shorts (simulate button presses) between 8 and 12 to see function sequence.

This function can be selected sometimes with DIP switches to set parameters. Note however that it’s not advisable to tinker with these settings to much if you don’t know what you’re doing. A manual with DIP switch function description is absolute must for any tinkering with settings.

1 Like