Help getting started in hass .io

Hello, I need some help getting started with hass.io I was wondering what would be the easiest way to edit the yaml file? I was wondering if it’s possible to use the ssh add on to edit it? But it doesn’t seem like that’s possible.
Thanks.

1 Like

Hi,

just install the samba addon and the config files will be available via your file explorer

Ok, do you use notepad++ to do the editing of the yaml files? It sounds like it should be easy. I’m a little lost I guess.

Thanks.

Yes, I like to use Notepad++ to work with the configuration.yaml inside my Samba shared network folder (accessed via my Windows laptop).

I used BRUH Automation’s excellent youtube videos to get myself started at the beginning. Here’s one on installing Samba Share in HASS.IO, then editing the .yaml file.

Home Assistant has gone through several iterations since its creation, so BRUH has several youtube video series explaining how to install each one. Home Assistant now makes installing HASS.IO mandatory, so I’d prioritize watching the HASS.IO-related videos.

1. How to install home assistant from scratch. <-- deprecated
  2. How to install the HASSbian distro. <-- deprecated
  3. How to install HASS.IO <— you are here!

Ok, thanks.

Is there documentation specific to the HASS o.s.? Specifically, how do you restart HASS when the web interface is down? Here is what happened to me.

I have WinSCP working fine and can edit any of the config files
I modified my configuration file and restarted HASS via the Web interface.
There was an error in the modifications I made and HASS stopped loading.
I tried using winSCP command (via putty) to restart the RaspPi via the “reboot” command. All it did was kick me off of WinSCP and would not let me reconnect.
The only option I could see was to unplug the RaspPi and plug it back in.

There must be a safer way to reboot is there not? Better yet, when HASS startup bombs because of an error in the config file, is there not a way to restart HASS once the error has been fixed???

I often find that a soft reboot (via putty) after having fixed config errors using WinSCP wont bring HassIO back to life. I dont know why but end up power cycling it to get the front end to load again. Its rather annoying.

Ditto. When Hassio dies, you can’t scp or putty anymore - or if you can ssh in it does not respond to a reboot command. Only think for it is a power cycle. Incidentally, I have been having an ADSL connection nightmare that seems to be finally resolved and since then, no more Hassio lockups like this. (it was every day). So unstable internet can screw it all up.