Help going from HassOS to Hass.io in a Rasbian Docker

So, I’m already tired of the HassOS hardening of the OS that I want to move from HassOS to Rasbian Docker. So I installed Rasbian Buster Lite, Docker and Hassio on the Raspberrypie 4 that I normally use for OctoPrint. Started fine, got the Home Assistant web page which I created an account to get it going. I then promptly shut it down, as well as my real Raspberrypie running my live HassOS.

From there, I copied the HassOS /config directory to the /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant/ on Raspbian, minus the home-assistant_v2.db because it’s 400 MB and I think it only records events anyway.

When I started up the Rasbian Hassio again (docker start raspberrypi4-homeassistant), what I got wasn’t what I expected. Missing lots of devices and my UI was actually the debug page and not my Lovelace UI. I shut it down, moved the SD card to the original Raspberrypi (to get the original IP address that my switches talks to through auto discovery MQTT) but had the exact same result :frowning:

Are there steps I missed to move my config from one system to another (and keeping the IP address)?

Thanks.

Take a snapshot on the instance you’re moving from and restore it on the new instance.

There is a hidden .storage directory you need to make sure you have too.

Beyond that, there is a snapshot feature in HassIO.

Take your pick.

Yeaster I did same. But I took snapshot from existing HssIO on HassOS and restored it on Raspbian Buster. It worked without any issue. Thanks

@SylvainGa, You can try my guide HERE to install Raspbian and Hass.io. Any reference to RPi3, substitute with RPi4.

Thanks all for your feedback. I don’t know why I didn’t think on using the snapshot I just did minutes before switching SD cards :crazy_face: I’ll try it again tonight.

Hi kanga_who (nice nickname)

Are there any special steps if I’m connected to Home Assistant Cloud?

Edit: To answer my own question, nope, nothing to do :slight_smile:

1 Like