Help, Home assisant always thinks I am home (Owntracks/Cloud Mqtt)nt

Hey all,

I’ve been going pretty crazy with Owntracks / Home assistant / Cloud MQTT and I am hoping you guys can help.

The issue I am having is this: Home Assistant always reports me as home.

I followed the installation guide posted by BRUH Automation on Youtube and everything seemed to be working correctly - the badge appeared on my dashboard and once I edited my “home” zone it correctly registered me as home. But as I went about my business over the next few days, I noticed in the logs/history it never registers me as not home. Moreover, when I click on the badge it doesn’t seem to ever “update” my status unless I restart Home Assistant (the last update shows as days ago). When I restart Home Assistant the badge does seem to update to reflect the latest message on Cloud MQTT.

If I log into cloud MQTT and leave it open on the websocket UI for a while I can see communication from Owntracks. Additionally, Owntracks correctly gives me a push notification when I enter and leave the “Home” Zone, but none of this information seems to get back to Home Assistant.

I am pretty new to all this, so I am not sure what information is relevant to paste / give you. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Check your hass config. Mqtt should point to your cloudmqtt server if you do not use bridges.

Thanks for your reply.

I have the following in my configuration.yaml file (edited for security)

#Cloud MQTT configuration
mqtt:
  broker: m11.cloudmqtt.com
  port: NUMBER
  username: USER
  password: PASSWORD

# Owntracks with zones
device_tracker:
  - platform: owntracks
    max_gps_accuracy: 200
    waypoints: True

Where NUMBER = the Port listed on the CloudMQTT Dashboard, USER = the username I created for Haas, and PASSWORD = the password I created for Haas.

Both users (Haas and my Phone) have read and write access to “#”.

Is there something I should have done differently?

Aren’t you missing client_id: and keepalive: from your mqtt section?

Scrap that, they’re optional.

What does your known_devices.yaml look like?

This is my first time opening this file so I haven’t made any edits to it. It contains the below:

iphone6_phone:
  hide_if_away: false
  mac:
  name: iphone6
  picture:
  track: true
  vendor:

everything looks correct there, and it would have only been populated if it was getting the info from mqtt - I’m stumped too, sorry. Hopefully somebody else will have an idea…

any update on this? exactly the same issue here

Owntracks need you to always turn on the app or frequently open the app to update your location.

You also need nmap tracker (local home network) to track if you are in your home network which means you are home.