Help how to add hass.io tab?

I manually installed home-assistant on raspberry pi long time ago by following this instruction below :

Lately I understand there is hass.io which kind like hass repository
So I add "hassio: " in configuration.yaml however i got error below
What I am missing?

You have to install HASS.IO in order to have the hassio tab. You are not running hass.io, so you will not see these options.

1 Like

IMO the installation docs are a bit of a mess at the moment. Someone needs to write an article for beginners (HA 101) that explains all of the installation methods with a flowchart or something and makes clear the differences between all of them. Because it’s just the same q after same q on this forum re installation.

No offence meant to OP, it is confusing. Especially since if you go to http://hass.io it takes you to the main Home Assistant site, not even the landing page for Hass.io installation.

4 Likes

Would you tell me what I’m running?
There is this hass.io and then hassbian and then home-assistant which I manually install
I’m confused now… what’s the different on all of these?

2 Likes

you said you manually installed Home Assistant.

This means you did not install HASS.IO.

hassbian is a custom raspbian build with Home Assistant already included.

Home Assistant is the application that can run on any Python environment

HASS.IO is a custom image, that runs on ResinOS, that is a specialized DOCKER instance. Home Assistant runs in a special DOCKER container in this version.

The frustration levels are climbing every day with more and more people posting about their confusion with this. Nothing against you, it’s poor documentation, and I don’t know how to properly word it in the documentation.

2 Likes

It’s clear now … thanks for explanation
Since I have HA now, is that possible to install hass.io add-on on my HA
for ex. this add-on below
Home Assistant Community Add-on: AirCast

If possible, would you explain me how to install this?

add-ons are ONLY for hassio. if you want the hassio tab, and the hassio add-ons, you need to install hass.io. plain and simple.

Found the answer is possible

right, but it’s not an add-on. you won’t see add-ons on a ‘normal’ install. only in hass.io for now.

I had the same issues of not understanding all the different ways to install and run home assistant. I had almost no linux experience and zero raspberry pi experience when I first started using home assistant. Started on a windows machine which was a nightmare, moved to a raspberry pi with hassio which was much better. Of course the next issue was trying to follow articles and videos that use all those “sudo apt-get” commands which don’t work with hassio. These issues are probably minor and obvious to many, but they caused many hours of frustration for me. Resin OS and dockers are still foreign concepts to me. Jinja also seems like a cruel joke on noobs like me.

2 Likes

yeah. what most people fail to realize with hassio is that the things they tend to find old documentation for, are things that are available as add-ons or already included in the hassio docker image.

one problem with updating the documentation is that it needs to be updated across all components as well. This is a major undertaking.

1 Like

Does 433MHz code sniffing fall under that caregory? I got the RF transmitter and receiver for xmas and it seems like i wont be able to sniff the codes with hassio. Is that an incorrect statement?

Is it something you plug directly into the pi?

You will probably need to check with ResinOS documentation on enabling the GPIO devices, or there are probably threads around here on that issue.

Yes, it plugs directly into the raspberry pi. There are many threads that talk about it on this site. They all seem to require commands that can not be run on hassio.

Nearly anything you find on configuring hardware connections older than the release of hassio should be ignored if you’re using hassio.

So what happens when you follow resinos documentation for adding hats/GPIO?

The part that seems to be the roadblock is running python scripts to sniff the actual codes that are used. I took a look at the resinos documentation when I first setup hassio. There was a link to resinos documentation to setup hassio to be used with wifi instead of wired ethernet. I didn’t even know where to begin and there weren’t any step by step instructions. Kind of like saying, “you are randomly going to china and you don’t speak the language? No big deal, here is a book that teaches you chinese.” It’s a pretty daunting task…

I will probably use a 2nd SD card and try to put something like raspian on it so i can follow the instructions on the threads on this site. That seems like the most likely path to success with my limited skill set.

Once i sniff the codes, I think i can go back to hassio without issues. We’ll see if that works.

No kidding.

I have been using Linux for around 17 years, have been programming arduino, esp8266 chips, and writing python on my PIs for the last couple of years. I have been in IT for 12 years…

and even I was confused when I first read the resinOS docs on configuring networks. I had attempted to use ResinOS by itself right around the time that hassio was starting to go into beta, and it is a nightmare of an OS to configure and use. I get why they went that route for an ‘appliance’, but really it is more trouble than it’s worth. Now that it is the ‘preferred’ method of installation, it draws in more and more confusion every single day…

1 Like