Help, i can't get HA to work

hello
one of my attempts to get home assistant installed was to download the virtual machine for virtualbox. the website made me think that when i booted that virtual machine, i should be looking at some kind of UI to continue the process. but when i finally managed to get the bloody thing to boot, i was given a CLI. after some back and forth, i figured out how to configure the network, but that didn’t do me any good. when i boot that virtual machine, i still get the CLI, and i can’t connect to the VM with a browser either. what am i doing wrong?

also, trying to set the nameserver in that CLI does not work either. when i try, it tells me the command has been executed, but when i then say net info, the other settings are there but the nameserver field is blank. whats going on here?

i use ubuntu 20.04 on a quad-core i7 with 32 GB RAM

Home assistant runs headless. You connect using a web browser on another machine. As per the installation instructions.

1 Like

“You connect using a web browser on another machine.”
that doesn’t work either. when i go to firefox and enter 192.168.1.80:8123, all i get is a blank page because firefox either can’t get a connection, or it doesn’t get any data back. huh, looks like i forgot to mention that in my OP.

What type of network adapter is set up? If you want the VM visible outside of the computer it is installed on, you need to use Bridged mode so the VM gets an ip address on your home network.

by now i have got my paws on a raspberry pi which runs home assistant. i have some problems but those are for another thread…