Help me move from supervised to core/docker containers

I am currently running 7 supervisor addins (z-wave, google drive backup,…) under HA supervised. I would like to migrate to Core under docker and maintain my own containers, all of which will probably run under Proxmox. Is there a guide on how to install the supervisor addins manually under docker so that HA Core finds them?

Z-wave has a normal docker container, but I don’t think google drive backup has. But that is irrelevant, because without supervisor you can’t create snapshots (now called backups) anyway.

Using Core, I assume that keeping a copy of the config folder is my backup…right? (Which doesn’t backup the other related containers?)

Yes, copying the entire config directory will create a backup. I run homeassistant container and use a cronjob to do the backup. I posted about it here.

I’ve noticed for a proper backup its important the container is stopped and the backup command happens under root to get all files.

I then use the built in backup utility in Ubuntu to copy the backed up directory created by the rsync command to Google drive.

It doesnt make much sense to run a docker containerized environment in a VM. You shoud install docker right on the host Linux os if you go this route and not in proxmox. You will have endless problems passing usb sticks through the vm and containers if you do this.

Docker on Proxmox | It's full of stars!.

The is no comprehensive guide to do all this. You have to find the equivalent docker image of each addon you used and install and manage them all yourself. It is a lot of work but does give you much more control over everything.

2 Likes

Thx for the very helpful reply. I want to use proxmox to run pfsense and a windows 11 test system…so I am moving there in small steps. I may want to run some set top box software as well. Lots and lots of challenges to do all this. My base is a nuc8i5 with 32gb memory and 1tb NVME….this really is an experimental, learning system with no critical software…I have ha on a backup Wyse 5070

This may help

Just to put a finer point on a comment above…

You can’t run add-ons in docker without the supervisor. There is no (at least easy) way to install them. And there wouldn’t be any point to it anyway. I think the updates end maintenance would suck.

Just find the equivalent docker image (If there is one) and install it using regular docker commands.

I understand that….know how to do it…just don’t understand how home assistant knows there’s a container it should include…or is the linkage code built into the container image?

The supervisor manages all the containers and communication and configuration settings between them in a supervised install.

In a non supervised install, you specify the ports to open in the docker compose and they communicate through various ways, generally websockets but also mqtt.

Here’s an example of how you would configure node red on a nonsupervised docker install

I’m pretty sure of that. that’s the difference between an add-on and a regular docker image. the add-on is specifically built to be connected into the HA eco-system.

Not really sure what you mean here.

usually for regular containers if it’s related to HA (mariadb, appdaemon, etc)you just connect to it with some integration

What is the advantage to this?

I have to disagree on this point. I run Proxmox on an Intel NUC with multiple VMs and some of these VMs (e.g. HA) run docker inside. Running only HA on the NUC would be a waste of resources and with VMs I can easily spin up a new VM, test some stuff on it without any risk of breaking my production HA environment. I also have automated daily backups of some VMs to a NAS and if something breaks, I’m back up and running where I left off (no need to reinstall HA or anything) in a few minutes max. With Proxmox that’s easy as pie.
Also I never had any issue at all with USB passthrough (although I’m running the sticks now on a separate Pi, because the NUC is in a place far away from any devices), passthrough the USB to the VM in Proxmox and that’s it.

1 Like

I use Home Assistant Container as well on a NUC in a VM from Proxmox. I wrote guides for most of my stuff on my repo, maybe you can find some inspiration/help there.

I can see advantages to proxmax, but why wouldn’t you just install docker on the host OS alongside proxmox like mentioned here?

Im not all that familiar with proxmox, just wondering whats the advantage to run docker within a proxmox VM vs alongside it?

Because I want to isolate my VMs from each other to not interfere and risk having my production HA stop working when I mess something up on the host. Been doing this for 5 years now and my production HA was never offline (apart from moving to a new house and planned updates) and I messed up quite some things with my test VMs.

Also as I said, it’s way easier to make backups.

For your backups, you can use duplicati container, you can even upoad the backups to google drive

duplicati/duplicati - Docker Image | Docker Hub

Been using it for a couple of years and works fine

People seem to have strong opinions on proxmox and its been debated a lot on this thread

I saw your posts over there and read your blog about your setup and it definitely makes sense for what you’re doing. I have way fewer devices though and just docker over Ubuntu with the container install has worked fine for me .

It’s good there are so many install options depending on how you want to use Home Assistant, and what works best will depend on a lot of things (skill involved, type of hardware it’s running on, number/type of devices etc)

2 Likes

Yes, and in the end of the day, everyone has to find what works best for them.

2 Likes

Or they come here when it doesn’t work the way they imagined it :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Been thinking about migrating too but this just makes me realise how much work that will be…