Help me rethink my setup

Hi guys. I need a solution for my setup as I’m rethinking the structure

I have a mini pc (elitedesk 800 g2) running proxmox, within that I have 2 vms.

• windows running torrent and htpc (storing attached usb drives)
  • hassos

Now I’m incorporating a Frigate setup and would like to install it completely off hassos, an independent installation.

So I’m thinking to install it in a docker on proxmox. Problem is, the USB drives that are attached to windows would also need to be attached to the frigate docker which isn’t possible. Any ideas?

On the other hand, I was thinking of completely redoing the setup…

Put Ubuntu on the mini pc (no proxmox). Then running everything I need on seperate docker containers - windows, hassos, and frigate within that Ubuntu host

Possible? What are your thoughts?

Ubuntu and docker is my preference. You would need VM and HAOS if you want to use addons, else just install the addons as the separate docker containers.

Windows would need to be VM I believe but can’t you just run torrent in linux/ubuntu?

I think your real issue was storage and the fact that VMs have independent storage. Docker allows storage sharing so docker with Ubuntu will solve your issues.

Couldn’t you share the USB drives over network and mount them?

1 Like

Frigate will write a lot to storage. This will speed up failure

May want to consider spinning disk and dedicated

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I’ve chosen the easi(er) route for the time being and decided to share a folder on my spin drives (Using Samba ) which are connected to my Windows VM. Then frigate is storing the files there