Help me understand groups

I have read the Home Assistant document on groups, but I am confused. I suspect I do not understand how it works. Any help would be appreciated.

The groups.yaml file:

residents:
  name: Residents
  entities:
    - person.keith
    - person.valerie

In Lovelace, I created an entity card to show the state for both persons and the state for the group.
When one or the other is not home, residents is flagged as away (or not home?). Here is a screen shot of the Lovelace entity card:
Screenshot from 2022-02-26 10:54:45

When both are home, the residents will be home. When both are not home, residents will be away. That is good.

But, if one is away, the residents are away. This is not what I want. If I were to add additional people to the group, I would not want one person leaving to set the resident status as away. I want it to say someone is home as long as at lest one member of the group is home.

So, do I misunderstand how groups is supposed to work? Or, am I coding incorrectly?

Have you tried setting the all option to true?

You do not seem to misunderstand how groups are supposed to work, but there’s definitely something off with what you are seeing. The behavior you have described is what would be seen if the all variable were set to true. By default, if you do not declare the all variable it should be set to false, but maybe the default is not working properly. I would try explicitly declaring all: false.

residents:
  name: Residents
  entities:
    - person.keith
    - person.valerie
  all: false

If that doesn’t work try it as true like Taras said, but I doubt that will fix it.

Related unresolved issue: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/46895

I will give that a try.

I added the

all: false

line, and restarted the server.

Still the same.

false is the default value for all.