Help me understand Manual Alarm Control Panel with MQTT Support

Hello all,

I’m trying really hard to understand how that component should workd but I miss a point somewhere.
1- I have this config (copy/paste from the doc)

alarm_control_panel:
  - platform: manual_mqtt
    name: Home Alarm
    state_topic: home/alarm
    command_topic: home/alarm/set
    code: 0406
    pending_time: 30
    delay_time: 20
    trigger_time: 4
    disarmed:
      trigger_time: 0
    armed_home:
      pending_time: 0
      delay_time: 0

2- I then get an Home Alarm icon on my main screen. If I try to arm or disarm using the PIN code above. I just get this error in log

Invalid code given for armed_away

3- trying to call the service from dev tool will just fail the same way.

4- however, publishing a MQTT message (topic: home/alarm/set, payload: DISARM) without any PIN code will arm and disarm no problem (so what the point to have a PIN code in the configuration?)

So: am I suppose to use the alam panel only through MQTT? Or am I doing something wrong?

I can’t comment on points #2 and #3 because I do not use Manual Alarm Control Panel with MQTT Support. I’m using MQTT Alarm Control Panel and the pin-code works as advertized.

Regarding point #4:

It’s a minimal form of authentication to prevent anyone from arming/disarming the alarm panel. Given that your alarm panel has no native authentication (simply publishing to home/alarm/set is all it takes) the pin-code is used by the Frontend to challenge the user.

Yeah I know what is the purpose of a PIN code. I mean in this situation it fails if you try to arm with the PIN code, so what is the point to include a parameter that do not work as expected? I spent a few hour trying to figure out what was wrong in my setup. I was using simple Alarm Panel before switching to MQTT and PIN code was working fine.

Obviously the developers believe it works. If you think it’s a bug, file an issue in github.