Help needed for HUSBZB-1 ZigBee configuration

Greetings everyone

I’m rather new to HA so I apologize in advance for properly making all the rookie mistakes and not reading the most importen thread in this forum :slight_smile:
I also hope that all the snippets are formatet correctly. At least I tried.

My setup:
RPI 3 B+
Nortek Linear HUSBZB-1 Z-wave + ZigBee dongle
Ikea Tradfri GU10 LED bulb (brand new and never paired with other gateways)
Installed Hassbian and running HA v0.84.6

The ZigBee part of the HUSBZB-1 is giving me a hard time!
HA says that the zha (zigbee) device is configured but when I call the zha.permit service and turn on the Ikea bulb like described by @jfox here: Has anyone tried the Sengled LED bulb with the HUSBZB-1?
absolutely nothing happens.

lsusb on the RPI shows this:

pi@hassbian:~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 10c4:8a2a Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. 
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0424:7800 Standard Microsystems Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I’ve check the HUSBZB-1 in my MacBook and it’s ID 10c4:8a2a so it’s been detected by the OS

It also show up in the /dev folder:

pi@hassbian:~ $ ls -l /dev/ttyU*
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Dec 30 16:19 /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 1 Dec 30 17:36 /dev/ttyUSB1

I have added the following to the configuration.yaml:

zwave:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyUSB0

zha:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyUSB1
  database_path: /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/zigbee.db

In the home-assistant.log there is no errors and the zigbee.db file was created.
Under Setting - Integrations both the Z-Wave and the ZHA device is showen and on the States page in HA the Z-wave device is also shown. Not the ZHA but then again I don’t know if the ZHA device should be shown in the States page or only the paired devices (if you have any)!?
At the moment I don’t have any Z-wave devices so I can’t test that part of the HUSBZB-1.

Are there any other log-files that I can check for errors or info? Will the result of call service zha.permit be written to a log-file?
Is there a way to manually test the HUSBZB-1 device? Either on the RPI or on a computer?

In another thread in this forum I saw @winter writing something about a patch he had to install but also that it should be included in Bellows by now. I can’t find anything about this anywhere else. Anybody got a clue about this?

Am I missing something obvious to get this to work or what?

By the way, I bought 2 HUSBZB-1 brand new and they behave the same way so I don’t think it’s a hardware problem.

Regards
John

I cannot offer a “fix”, but I can say that your configuration looks correct to me. I have the same USB controller. I’m 95% sure that if zigbee was not working, then you would not see it as a service option (ie zha.permit).

I’d just try the usual troubleshooting steps. Move the bulbs closer? I skimmed the other thread about the bulbs, even though they are new, maybe try to “reset” them, I think it was turn on/off 10 times quickly? Once it’s added you should see it in the devices page and it should be named light.some_name_here if the bulbs are dimmable, if they just turn on/off then it will be switch.some_name_here.

Thanks for the input. I will try with a redet of the bulb.

Amazing @ptdalen! Resetting the (brand new) Ikea bulb made the difference. It works like a charm :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

I just came across your post. I have ordered the same adapter and it arrives tomorrow.

To set up in HA do I simply need to add the following to my config.yaml?

zwave:

zha:
database_path: /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/zigbee.db

I currently have 28 Zigbee light bulbs connected to a Wink Hub 2 which I want to eventually transition over. For now I have 6 brand new bulbs that have never been paired with anything. I will play around with these first. How do you start the pairing process in HA?

I had problems when I used those settings for my HUSBZB. I ended up with this in configuration.yaml:

zwave:

zha:
  database_path: /config/zigbee.db

I’m not sure this change is what made the difference, but after that I had zha.permit in the pull-down list of Services (Developer Tools / Services.)

1 Like

Thank you,

I will bear this in mind once I get my adapter. How do you find the range for the HUSBZB? I currently have my HA box in my office in the basement. I was wondering if I will need to move it to the main floor somewhere.

My understanding (and someone more knowledgeable may correct me) is that Zigbee devices build their own mesh network. So I bought a Zigbee “smart plug” device I can strategically locate half-way between the HA box and anything that’s having trouble communicating.

So far I haven’t needed it. The Raspberry Pi running HA is on the first floor, at the very back of the house, and a small battery-powered sensor in a 2nd floor front bedroom works.

That’s great to hear,

I have 28 Zigbee lights at various points of the house. I thought I had read somewhere that Z-Wave devices create a mesh network but I could be wrong lol

Zigbee lights will not help Z-Wave. But both zwave and zibee do create a mesh, but it depends on the device. Typically only powered (not battery) devices can be a part of a mesh, but even some zigbee powered devices do not act as repeaters. I dont remember which ones exactly, but I believe some lights do not act as repeaters

Thanks for this,

I will see how I make out. I will try the 6 spare bulbs out first at various locations and see if I have any issues

OK I got my adapter then added what you recommended to my configuration.yaml, rebooted HA and voila the ZHA Permit appeared in my services. I just added my 1st Zigbee bulb. It was a piece of cake lol

One question, if I want to remove a Zigbee device completely how do I go about that? I know how to reset the bulbs I am currently using. Is there anything I need to do in HA?

I wondered about that too. On the Configuration / Entity Registry page it says:

Use the entity registry to override the name, change the entity ID or remove the entry from Home Assistant. Note, removing the entity registry entry won’t remove the entity. To do that, follow the link below and remove it from the integrations page.

But I don’t see any way to delete an entity on the Integrations page. You can delete the whole integration (e.g.; “ZHA: /dev/ttyUSB1”) but I don’t see any way to do just one entity.

Thank You CaptTom. I have no idea why this didn’t work the first 3 times I’ve tried but after 3 days I am excited this is working

Edit, it looks like I got it figured out. I went to try the firmware update on it that I saw linked from the HA Zigbee section and I got an error that Docker was having an issue. So the issue turned out to be Docker group/permissions for the user.

Then I had an issue pairing one of my lights, tried another and it worked straight away. So looks like all is well. :+1:

Sorry to necro this thread, but I had a question about this. I did the steps above, ZHA/Zigbee told me that I was using deprecated commands, but I don’t see that particular on anywhere within my system. I see the Zwave with the frontend, it has a config(or multiple) screen and things of that nature, but I don’t see one for ZHA. Is there supposed to be a second one for USB1? It seems like it can see it, if it is able to tell I am using deprecated commands?

Similar to others, I have:

pi@ha:/ $ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 10c4:8a2a Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
~/.ssh » ls -l /dev/ttyU*
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Jan  3 03:55 /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 1 Jan  3 03:55 /dev/ttyUSB1

My Config:

zwave:

zha:
  database_path: /config/zigbee.db

.storage/core.config_entries

{
                "entry_id": "e0bdceb4cdfaf24cb5a848a628ba29c8",
                "version": 1,
                "domain": "zwave",
                "title": "Z-Wave (import from configuration.yaml)",
                "data": {
                    "usb_path": "/dev/ttyUSB0",
                    "network_key": null
                },
                "options": {},
                "system_options": {
                    "disable_new_entities": false
                },
                "source": "import",
                "connection_class": "local_push",
                "unique_id": null
            }

But then under devices, I only have the following:

After digging around some more before I finished writing this, I noticed that I didn’t see a zigbee.db anywhere either. I used /config/zigbee.db because I saw someone else used it somewhere. So I tried changing it to database_path: /usr/share/hassio/config/zigbee.db but that didn’t seem to help so I changed it back. I don’t see zha.anything in services either. I have one of the lights I bought hooked up an on. Is there something that is actually supposed to show up in the files or in the UI to indicate it at least knows it’s there?

Does anyone happen to have any insight they could share?

Thanks,
-MH