Help needed! Running an 5 year old installation on Ubuntu. SSD crashed

I hope anyone can help. I ran HA Supervised for 5+ years on my Ubuntu server. Last week my main drive (SSD) crashed so I had to reinstall the machine. The HA installation is on another HDD that is mounted on /usr/share/hassio. I restored everything and have it working like before, the only thing is I can’t install supervised because I get the error

dpkg: fout bij verwerken van archief homeassistant-supervised.deb (--install):
 subproces van het nieuwe pakket homeassistant-supervised het script pre-installation gaf de foutwaarde 1 terug

which means it returns error value 1

I think this could be by design to force installations to use Debian, but my installation has been running flawlessly for all those years and I would like to get back to that situation. So I’m looking for a workaround for this error.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

A Home Assistant supervised install has the most restrictive installation requirements and is almost always a poor choice of installation method. The restrictions/requirements are listed here: architecture/adr/0014-home-assistant-supervised.md at 8631a749058299f2b309226e1afd508ae5c12cc2 · home-assistant/architecture · GitHub

Install HAOS bare metal or in a VM instead.

I know it may not be the most optimal installation but in my case it would be the best option because I can go on with my existing installation instead of starting from scratch, which will be, after 5+ years of use, a big headache. I do have everything running again like it was before the SSD crashed. The only thing missing is Supervised. I know the requirements are very restrictive, but this installation is started before these restrictions came in. As of last week everything was running perfectly, so I assume there must be a way to go back to that situation

You know what they say about assumptions.

The only way forward, if you must persist with this, is to install Debian 12 (Bookworm) instead of Ubuntu.

Or install HA OS in a VM on your Ubuntu machine.

1 Like

Just to make sure, this is not going to be forgotten: if you want to change the underlying installation method, you can still use a backup from HA to get you up and running again.

So, if you change the installation to HA-OS, you can easily restore the backup from a supervised install onto the new HA-OS! :slight_smile:

That being said, it really is the better choice to work with HA-OS, trust me, I’ve done this move years ago, and never looked back! I started with a supervised install as well, but it turned out to be much easier to handle with HA-OS. I was using supervised, because I thought I’d need additional things on that machine - nope, wasn’t necessary! :slight_smile:

So what I’d do in your case: setup HA-OS fresh, and then restore the backup from supervised. I’m almost a 100% certain, you’ll love it and will never lock back as well! :slight_smile:

There other things running on that machine as well because I use it as a home server. That’s why I have to stay on Ubuntu.
On of the things running on it is a backup server. That was my luck. I restored the missing files from the backup and it is running again like it was before.

Honestly, that sounds a little like searching for trouble, if I understand you right. :slight_smile:

If you have different things running on that machine, why aren’t you using virtualization? It doesn’t make sense, to run all different things on bare metall…

I’m running a small homeserver as well, Nextcloud, HA, Jellyfin and some other things, but I use Proxmox for this. It seperates the things neatly and I can go with whatever installation methods I want to.

I know, it seems strange, that people are insisting on using HA-OS, but I’ve done all of this myself, and I can tell you, the best way to go forward is using Proxmox and HA-OS in a VM or a LXC container. There’s backup included, you can use things like Borg-backup, everything a bare metall machine is offering, but you have way more control over it with Proxmox and you can still do everything you want like on bare metall! :slight_smile:

And if you can’t set the correct requirements for supervised, you might not have a choice anyway. :slight_smile:

Maybe I will do that in the future. Now I don’t have time to go and change everything and I need that machine for other things. Changing a complete machine is not something you must do when you’re in a hurry. For that kind of things I want to take the time

I assumed as such! :laughing:

As your system seems to be up and running again, this was more of a “for future endeavors” kind of dicussion, at least I meant it that way. :joy:

If you decide to go that route, let us know, I’m sure we can help! :slight_smile:

I will, Thank you!