Help needed with a GPIO connection

Hi all,

I purchased one of these and connected it all up to a RPi 3 and got it working as described. I thought this might be a solution to my continuing Home Assistant Doorbell quest.

However, I’ve tried to transfer it over to one of my HA RPis but I can’t figure out how to make it work. I’ve tried

binary_sensor:
- platform: rpi_gpio
ports:
27: Doorbell

(Note - it is correctly formatted in configuration.yaml in case it comes out wonky here! Edit: Yes, it’s come out wonky here. Definitely correct in the config - formatting isn’t the problem!)

switch:
- platform: rpi_gpio
ports:
27: Doorbell

I’ve also tried the 4 permutations of invert_logic and pull_mode and randomly adjusting (I have no point of reference) bouncetime but I get the same thing every time and that is a switch/binary sensor that is rapidly switching between on and off.

I’ve connected things to GPIOs before but not with HA. As I mentioned this kit works as described in the manual - I didn’t need to add any resistors.

Any suggestions on things I can try to get this working with Home Assistant?

Thanks

Steve

Are you having an issue with getting the RF receiver connected, or with an automation? Here’s an example of what I used for my RF receiver on my RPi, adopted somewhat for your instance. Since I don’t know how your doorbell sends it’s signals, you’ll need to sniff that out with rfrx.py or another similar RF sniffing tool.

platform: rpi_rf
gpio: 27
switches:
  doorbell:
    code_off: 12345678
    code_on: 87654321
    protocol: 2
    pulselength: 131
    signal_repetitions: 2

Use a tool like rfrx.py to sniff out what’s happening when you press the doorbell button, then update the code above. Since this is a switch, and the doorbell probably does not send out a second “I’m done” code, you may also need an automation that turns off the switch after x seconds of being on.

See the following video for more info on rfrx.py (start at 3:12 in the video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UUazFbK-Hg

Thank you - it seems that completely misunderstanding what the example code that came with the kit does led me to believe that the RF module is sending a binary signal. This pointed me in the right direction and I now have a working doorbell.

Thanks again

Steve

1 Like