HELP! NO Dashboards!

Hello.
I think I have Appdaemon and HADashbord up running, I can access the HADashboard by entering ip address and the port: 5050. But the problem is that no dashboards pop up. Does anyone have any ideas? ? I am completely new in programming. i Have created a test.dash.yaml file in my dashboards folder. //HASSBIAN/ appdaemon/ dashboards
thanks in advance

so what does that show?

that could be your problem, because a dashboard is a file like test.dash and not test.dash.yaml

I am at work now, but i can try to explain.
It shows:
The HADasbhoard front page
“welcome to HADasboard for home Assistant”
“No dashboards were found”

Maybe that is the problem then, what text format should it be then?
I created the file in Notepad++, “New file” --> “save as” chose the .yaml filetype and saved with .yaml
Is .dash a filetype in Notepad++ ??
Many stupid questions now, i am happy someone was willing to try to help me out :slight_smile:

no .dash is no filetype in notepad++
and the dashfile should actually be in yaml format, but it shouldnt have yaml extention.
so just rename the file and you should be good to go.

by the way, there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers :wink:
you got questions because you are learning, and thats always good.
start by reading a lot in the documentation: https://appdaemon.readthedocs.io/en/dev/DASHBOARD_CREATION.html#
and when you cant figure it out i am here.

Ok.
The file actually does not have .yaml extention, i just wrote it to point out that it was a .yaml filtype.
I think maybe there is something wrong with my file path. I installed the appdeamon using this Hassbian script: https://github.com/home-assistant/hassbian-scripts/blob/dev/docs/appdaemon.md
When opening the files on the PI throug the “network station” (The network station is called “HASSBIAN”)
Inn the HASSBIAN “folder” there is three more folders, one called “homeassistant” one called “appdaemon” and one called “pi”
In the “appdaemon” folder i created the dasboards folder. Would my path look like this then? dash_dir: /home/ appdaemon/ dashboards ?

the problem is that i dont know anything about that install script.
but if you see those dirs you probably did put things on the right place but as the wrong user.

linux works with users (like you also can use users in a windows environment)
when you are logged in as user A the files that you create are owned by user A and user B cant change or read them.

every user gets its home folder.
so /home/homeassistant is the home folder from the homeassistant user

when you go from your PC to the pi, you are probably user pi. which creates files that are owned by pi, but cant be read by user homeassistant.

and you also did use the wrong place. in the page you showed you can read this:
Configuration dir: /home/homeassistant/appdaemon/
so thats where you need to put your configuration files and in that dir you need to have your dashboards dir.

its not the way and place that i would choose, but the script also generates the auto startup services for you, so when you want to change that, you also need to change your services.

there are 2 important things for you to do:

1. start learning about filerights on linux and how to set them (or use a windows program that shows them and lets you set them (winscp is my favourite)
  2. read the documentation from appdaemon https://appdaemon.readthedocs.io/en/dev/index.html
    it is quite extensive, because appdaemon and HAdashboard are programs that can do a lot.

for now i think it could be enough when you move the dashboards dir to the right place (if the filerights are right and appdaemon can read them)

Thanks again for the replays.
I have to test a little bit more when i get home from work.
If i decide to “start over” is there a way to “uninstall” Appdaemon and HADasbord ?

first you need to go into the venv then you can use
pip3 uninstall appdaemon
but it wont delete your services so you need to delete those also
and after that you need to delete the venv.

i think its easier to move the config files and edit the services.
appdaemon is already installed in its own venv so thats good.

i just wouldnt put AD config files inside the HA config dir, but because they only used the homeassistant user it shouldnt be a big problem for filerights. as long as you make sure that you only change or create files in those dirs logged in as user homeassistant and not as pi.