(Help request)Turning Daikin air-water heat pump on and off using a relay

Hello all!
My house uses a Daikin EHVH08S18DA air-water heat pump.

I’d like to use home assistant to control it (meaning to just turn it on and off, for now).

Current setup -
Daikin indoor unit is located in my basement, thats also where my RPi and relay module are.
Im using a HACS RPi GPIO integration to control the relay, it works well, the relay clicks and everything else in that area is just as needs to be.

The problem?
The problem is connecting up the 230V 10A relay module to the indoor unit itself. I don’t know where to run the wires. There are a few bridged connections, so that makes things a little more complicated for me too. I know some people run wires from the termostat connections, but would that work in my case and if it would, how’d i go about doing that?

I’ve looked through different diagrams of the EHVH08S18DA pump, but can’t find any answers in manuals or the internet (Skill issue perhaps?).
As my last resort I’ve hoped on the forums to ask you guys for advice!

Thank you all in advance :wink:

Hello,
Do you know GitHub - raomin/ESPAltherma: Monitor your Daikin Altherma / ROTEX heat pump with ESP32 ?
It could be your best option and, you could add a relay to the ESP32 to switch it on or off…

Hi! I’ve now looked into it, and it looks like a really cool solution.

However. I can’t get my hands on an ESP32 or any other compatible board at this time.

Looking at the wiring diagram, could i just use a relay the same way its used on there?

I just need to turn the pump on and off for now.

I could upgrade to ESPAtherma in the future for sure!

I guess there is no problem, as this part of ESPALtherma is just that: a relay which switchs on or off.

One thing i’ve seen is that the connetion into X2M 30 is bridged and does NOT recieve 230V, 35 does get 230V actively. Im worried about making a connection with that relay and the bridge giving 230V to other connectors too.

The relay in ESPALTHERMA, doesn’t work cutting the 230v line but activating or deactivating an external thermostat correctly configured in the interface.
So, don’t connect 230v there, under no circunstances and, read through the project a little deeply.

1 Like

Okay, then back to it - how to turn my pump on off using a relay only?

I wouldn’t treat a heatpump as a light bulb due to many reasons, but in that case you should put your relay where the heatpump is connected to the main power, but I wouldn’t go it that way…

Thanks for being patient with me, Im gonna take this advice and i’ll use ESPAtherma :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update:

I got my hands on an ESP8622 and uploaded ESPAltherma on it. Connected it to my heat pump, set up MQTT and got it working.

Its great for monitoring values and turning the pump on off by simulating a thermostat!

1 Like

Glad you got it working!!! And much safer that way of switching on or off the pump besides, you get a lot of useful data for your automations, or for the pleasure of watch them…

1 Like