Help setting up Hassio on ubuntu

OK, so as per everyone’s recommendations, I’ve gone with Hassio installed using the curl on my Ubuntu server.

It’s nice and snappy compared to the pi, but it has been a bit of a nightmare to get some of the more important things running, and I can’t find guides on much of any of this stuff.

1. DuckDNS doesn’t work. Its own log shows an error that it “couldn’t connect to server”, which may have to do with port forwarding. My server is also my router, so when I route 8123 traffic, do I route it to my server’s local address, or “localhost” address, or the virtual address of the hassio docker network interface? No guides on that stuff.

2. Next, I get an error on the general log saying that my ssl .pem files don’t exist. Why didn’t DuckDNS create these? Does it need proper forwarding first?

3. Next, I had the configurator working. I tried to enable SSL so that it would work properly as an iframe. But it failed, probably because, again, my .pem files don’t exist. So I disabled SSL, so the configuration was back to the working config. Now it fails as soon as I click “start”. It reports nothing whatsoever to any of the logs. It just fails and tells me nothing.

I’ll probably have more issues when I get to the MQTT stuff. Hue and Nest work fine though. It would just be nice if the guides included a little more about configuring Hassio on a server and not just on a pi.

(Edit) 4. Now I just rebooted my server, and Hassio isn’t running. I tried doing docker start homeassistant and also docker start hassio_supervisor but no luck.

I installed Hassio yesterday on a nuc running ubuntu 16 ising this guide. https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/tree/master/install#install-hassio. I also read this but skipped the vm and installed directly on the ubuntu. Works great sofar. Howto: Installing HassIO in Docker on a Proxmox NUC server