Help triggering automation manually

I’ve got a very simple configuration currently, just a single zen25 switch.

In the Home Assistant UI I can manually trigger the switches and the device responds appropriately.

However, when I try to create a super simple test Automation and trigger that via the UI, the device fails to respond.

For example:

- id: '1548741707626'
  alias: test
  trigger: []
  condition: []
  action:
  - data:
      entity_id: switch.recirculation_pump_right
    service: switch.toggle

This does not toggle the switch.

If I go to the “Services” developer tool, and I trigger a switch.toggle on entity_id switch.recirculation_pump_right, it toggles correctly.

I thought I had everything working a few days ago, but then it suddenly stopped and even reducing it down to this simple example has stumped me. I feel like I must be missing something simple, but none of my searches have managed to turn anything up.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Ok, I think I found the simple thing I missed…

On the main “Overview” page, do I need to click on the Automation and then click “trigger” inside of it? Is the radio button next to the automation not supposed to trigger it?

Here’s one of mine

action:
  - service: switch.turn_off
    data:
      entity_id: switch.sonoff12914

Which is effectively identical to yours… but you don’t have a trigger defined… I wonder if that’s it?

Yeah you have to click trigger…

I see, that toggle switch on the main page is for disabling/enabling the automation I’m guessing?

Since I don’t have any triggers defined for mine, it just does nothing right now, if I toggle it on, it just toggles back off. Maybe that’s the intended UX for when an automation does not have a trigger. Seems like it might be more clear if the toggle switch was disabled though.