HELP..Trying to turn my PC on and off with Home assistant and hopefully open programs

hi all,

I’m wanting to be able to turn my PC on/off with home assistant and if possible be able to open apps (though I have two users and dont know if it would be possible )

I’ve seen an old youtube video from JuanMTech showing the on/off using Join. I’ve tried this and hit a roadblock, when I go to the webpage for Join I am hit with the join banner on top and a white empty box below ( is anyone stil using this? is it still running? am I just an idiot that cant work out how to open a webpage? ) .

anyway, any help would be greatly appretiated, I have done a search on here and found a load of topics but nothing recient.

this is the only method I have found but if anyone has another method I would be happy to try it, or if you can point me in the right dirrection to acheive this.

Thank you all for your help and time.

Robin

Read the whole topic - there are issues with it.

Or there’s this:

1 Like

Thank you tom_l,
I’ve had a look through those but as far as I can see they don’t allow me to turn the PC on only off. Idealy I’d like to be able to do both but the bare minimum is to turn it on.

the only other way I can think of to do it is to wire the main button on the front of the PC to a ESP8266 board and do it that way with an external power source but I’d prefer not to do it that way if at all possible.

Some motherboards have an option to keep power to a usb port, so you can charge your mouse or phone even when the pc is off.
You could use that to power the esp8266

thanks, I’ll look into that to see if I have that option, it may open a plan B :slight_smile:

No esp required:

Hi, if you’re still interested, there’s a new software name IoTuring which can connect easily to HomeAssistant, send your data to sensors and control your pc using switches or buttons.
It works on Windows, Linux and macOS.
Here’s the link if you want to try it.

It’s the new version of PyMonitorMQTT (I’m its developer).

2 Likes

You can try HASS.Agent if you want an MQTT based solution, or HA Desktop Companion if you prefer your computer as a mobile device in Home Assistant (similar to MacOS).

1 Like