Help us name a Home Assistant installation method (Polls added)

Did I say “AIO”?

I really meant “Long Live HA OS!”

:smile:

2 Likes

How disappointing. A massive opportunity for the community to come up with something new and that’s the option we chose because we can’t be bothered to type any else if you installed the whole suite/ all in one install

Cortainer and supervised are also really short to type. Oh wait… they’re not.

There was no option to pick a new name that is easily abbreviated or that couldn’t be abbreviated. If that’s what was required surely a better choice was

Home Assistant complete ( easily abbreviated to COMP) and still searchable

Or

Home Assistant Suite which I think is slightly less obvious to noobs but can’t really be abbreviated. It’s is 3 extra letters though.

1 Like
2 Likes

That’s the confusing part, these days “operating system” has a different meaning to different people. You probably would also not call Ubuntu an OS but Ubuntu does.

I agree, most proposals are a bit unimaginative. Here are some quick puns to get inspired by:

• Home Assistant Go-go (it’s the one method that can boot)
  • Home Assistant Platform (a platform is a boot and it is an OS)
  • Home Assistant Lightning (it’s the one method that you flash)

(mostly joking)

I think when we have THIS

Home Assistant Operating system

Home Assistant Operating System (HassOS) is based on buildroot. It’s a hypervisor for Docker and supports various kind of hardware. It is also available as virtual appliance for different virtualization solutions. The whole system is optimized for hosting Home Assistant and its features (to be precise, the Add-ons). You can update the system by using OTA updates or offline updates.

This is an embedded Linux which works different than a normal Linux distribution. The system is designed to run with minimal I/O and is optimized for its tasks.

…Then go and name something that runs along side that, Home Assistant OS we are saying HassOS running HassOS. Regardless of someones definition of an OS, this is confusing.

A quick distillation of what I took from the recent flurry of activity on this thread…

[I’ll just add that it isn’t kanga_who and their peers who need to not be confused, but people coming to HA for the first time.]

I think Home Assistant OS is by far the least confusing name for end-users/people trying to support them.

I wouldn’t even say it’s wrong to use an existing name either, because every installation of (the product) Home Assistant OS is based on (the linux distribution) Home Assistant OS anyway. To any end-user they might as well be the same thing.

What if you have an issue with Home Assistant OS and not Home Assistant OS though?

3 Likes

The collective will of the community has given us the choice. lets embrace it, move onwards and upwards.

1 Like

Sorry, just could not resist: CHAOS = Complete Home Assistant Operating System :slight_smile:
Best, JR
PS on venv/core myself and never thought of naming conventions :frowning:

5 Likes

Best out of 3??

God no, thread has been done to death.

1 Like

I don’t know! What if? And how would you tell anyway? Does it even matter?

Because Home assistant OS tells you in supervisor if the operating system (actual) has an update so if that fails or causes a problem the likely then operating system caused the error. I believe this happened recently to a few users on the forum. That would be very difficult to explain and get support

If you have Home Assistant OS you have both the operating system AND the Home Assistant OS installation. It is not that hard to work it out - certainly no harder if not easier than anything else support wise.

customers calls workshop to book in their car to be serviced

customer: Hi, can I book in my Toyota Toyota for an oil change please?
workshop: Sure, which model Toyota do you own?
customer: Yes

1 Like

Yeah, but is anyone going to be asking for support specifically for the underlying operating system of Home Assistant OS, rather than just… the thing as a whole? Assuming they don’t just rename the underlying operating system to a non-conflicting name.

It’s pretty much a closed system.

See this thread from a couple of weeks ago doing exactly that

I’m pretty sure the ‘collective will of the community’ was only being sought as an indicative view.

I hope those on high aren’t now going to hide behind that argument if the new name turns out to be a disaster.

I’m not saying it will be, I’m just wondering who is owning the responsibility :wink: