Help us name a Home Assistant installation method (Polls added)

I agree with all of that but the issue is ‘we’ absolutely are courting those who might be confounded.

I fail to see how the name of an installation method is what draws new users to Home Assistant. It’s the feature-set found in Home Assistant that draws new users, not the name of how you install it. The installation name simply serves to differentiate itself from the other available methods.

2 Likes

Definitely not hub - you never know, one day the project might want to release a hardware product that could use that name :slight_smile:

I’d just stick with plain “Home Assistant”, as all the other methods are variations in some way of that main product. It keeps it clear for non-technical users who just want to use it. Anyone interested in supervised or core will be technical enough to know the difference and understand the pros and cons of their chosen method.

No, let’s keep the name Home Assistant for the software that automates our home, not for an installation method.

1 Like

Lots of good ideas here - I think I like ‘Suite’ best so far. One problem, though, is that ‘Home Assistant’ is just too many syllables already, and nobody on a podcast will actually say something like “Home Assistant All-in-one” (unless they can abbreviate it to something which sounds like ‘hass-i-o’ :slight_smile: )

How about just ‘Home Suite’, and then the main Lovelace page you log in to could be your ‘Home Suite Home’…?

Take above table, make a good introductory landing page:

Home Assistant is …

Home Assistant can be installed in a variety of ways …

(take table, add a column “recommended technical expertise level”)

For a novice, we recommend trying out the Home Assistant Supervised OS install. It allows an easy “All-In-One” installation, with immediate results. Whenever your expertise grows, or you wish to explore additional possibilities, you can try other install options. In any case, you’ll get the best possible Home Assistant experience—tailored to your needs.

The “Supervised” editions include an extra “Supervisor” component, which allows supervising Home Assistant (and its underlying operating system) for problem-free operation, make backups, reboot your system, and easily install additional add-ons.

(Last part mainly so no one feels “supervised” by some alien instance.)

OT re naming: Anyone remember Linda Lovelace? My first thought when “Lovelace” came out …

The brand is “Home Assistant” which is why it went from Hass.io to Home Assistant in the first place.

Another observation: We are swimming in HAC’s

HACS Home Assistant Community Store
HAC Home Assistant Core
HAC Home Assistant Container
HAC Home Assistant Cloud

“Complete” would add another “HAC” to the list. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just had a thought (steels self to be blasted by everyone) we are mostly technical people here and generally we eschew marketing and that perspective.
BUT I watched a documentary about selling chocolates, at no point through this did anyone change the product or the wrapping or the names, they merely changed the marketing precept. The result was going from being outsold two to one, that changed to outsell two to one.
Perception is reality. (we may argue that facts are facts fullstop, but a mass opinion that is contrary to actuality has to be properly addressed or it becomes an accepted POV (any flat earthers out there ?)
So I’m agreeing with those above who say that the branding and name is important. It’s the first step.
So we’ve agreed that the table is a great idea and that the terms should be explained simply, following the table.

So the idea …

Home Assistant Easy

Subtle variations on that could be Ezee, Ezie, Eazy (for that unique marketing distinction :rofl: )
The point is to catch the eye and suggest that this is the place to start, there are other options but please start here.
The table will show what you get, and point you the what the terms mean but half the battle will be won right there.

Discuss (or attack, I’m big enough and ugly enough to survive)
And so many ideas here have been added to, strengthened and made brilliant by such

1 Like

The best marketing so far was actually calling it “Home Assistant”. Immediately drew me in. Who would want “Home Automation” or (fill in some others here) when we could have our very own Assistant in our Home. A cozy place to be, and getting some assistance? Just great.

I like Home Assistant Max for the full installation.

I had no idea about supervisors containers or anything other kind of thing when I came to home assistant. I just wanted something I could download and install and start making my smart home stuff better and or smarter. I didn’t care about how it worked underneath. So I would argue supervised is a technical term for some noobs.

I work a lot with Windows I have no idea what goes on underneath. I just know how to make it do what I want, and when it doesn’t I just reboot and hope or go on a forum to find a solution.

The same with a car, I can drive it and I understand there is some stuff under the bonnet that makes that happen but beyond the top level of filling up oil water and batteries not a clue.

I don’t think I am that much of an unusual case. Followed some you tube videos. Didn’t have a clue at the beginning. Got it working. Got hooked. Taught myself a lot, improved my knowledge and understanding, then found out a bit about what the supervisory, container, dockery things you are on about. And clearly I still don’t know much now. My home assistant still works the same though.

So again I say for a lot of noobs a very simple definition like home assistant all in one or self installer is what is required for a noob like I was. Others who know what a container or a docker is can bypass and skip to that next level.

1 Like

“Supervised” isn’t a technical term nor does it require knowledge about “dockery things”. It simply indicates the instance of Home Assistant you install is supervised (i.e. managed).

You had two choices of Supervised installation methods. Had the instructions recommended that you choose the first one in the table, called Supervised OS, you would be right where you are now, enjoying its benefits without having to know what’s under the bonnet.

On the other hand, if you already had a computer with Linux, you might have chosen the second option in the table, Supervised, and experienced virtually the same level of functionality. In both cases, you would have a supervised instance of Home Assistant.

In contrast, had you chosen the third or fourth installation methods, the end-result would have been a *non-*supervised instance requiring more management effort on your part. Nowadays, in the interests of convenience, those two are not the installation methods promoted to new users. However, they do provide certain advantages that some people require (or prefer).

Ultimately, all four installation methods provide Home Assistant but the two Supervised versions provide administrative convenience.

I’ll take a few bits from other posts - the table is a really good idea.

Name Supervisor Add-ons Snapshots With OS Docker Install Method
HA JeOS Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Image
HA Supervised Yes Yes Yes No Yes Scripted Docker
HA Coretainer No No No No Yes Manual Docker
HA Core No No No No No Python vEnv

I’m willing to be told my ‘Install Method’ description isn’t right :grinning:.

Yep completely agree that’s what I did but disagree that a heading on the install docs titled “supervised install” would instantly have lead me to clock that was what I wanted to do. As a noob I don’t think supervised would have meant much to me at all at that stage. All in one might have I think.

Just building on the idea you proposed (I’m using generic names here):

Name Supervisor Add-ons Snapshots Operating System Docker Method
HA Platinum Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Disk-image (1)
HA Gold Yes Yes Yes No Yes Shell script (2)
HA Silver No No No No Yes Docker container (3)
HA Bronze No No No No No Python app (4)
Note Description
1 Burn disk-image, for your model of single-board computer, to SD card.
2 Execute shell script on an existing instance of Debian linux.
3 Install docker container in an existing docker environment.
4 Install python app in a virtual python environment.

What’s unmentioned is that it’s possible to install the disk-image in a Virtual Machine. However, if the idea is to promote the first option to newcomers, perhaps it’s best to mention that variation elsewhere in the documentation (an “Extra for Experts” section).

@123, when is the deadline of this renaming? You wanted a community decision, though I’m curious as to when the decision part is going to take place. No disrespect meant, but I just wanted to point out that I don’t really see very much progression towards a decision. Or is this the brainstorm fase and is the next fase to make a poll out of all suggestions in this topic?

Really don’t like the Platinum/gold etc

I was sure there was a 5th method. I’d suggest it is included in the summary.

1. Burn disk-image, for your model of single-board computer or as a Virtual Machine.

You have me mixed up with someone else because I didn’t start this topic. Sean did and it’s due to suggestions made in the Architecture GitHub repo that the renaming should be opened to the community. The names listed in the first post come from the discussion in the Architecture repo.

Not my favorite either but I used them as placeholders. Here’s the revised version incorporating your VM description.

Name Supervisor Add-ons Snapshots Operating System Docker Method
HA Hub Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Disk-image (1)
HA Hubian Yes Yes Yes No Yes Shell script (2)
HA Coretainer No No No No Yes Docker container (3)
HA Core No No No No No Python app (4)
Note Description
1 Burn disk-image, for your model of single-board computer, to SD card or as a Virtual Machine.
2 Execute shell script on an existing instance of Debian linux.
3 Install docker container in an existing docker environment.
4 Install python app in a virtual python environment.

Given the feedback on the use of the word “Supervised”, I’ve removed it. The latest iteration uses “Hub” and “Hubian” (for the Debian flavor and indicates it’s a sibling of Hub).