Help us name a Home Assistant installation method (Polls added)

And add in note about being a dedicated machine as per the ADR.

tbh I wasn’t talking about the OS abbreviation, but about terms like core, docker, coretainer, supervised, and supervised OS.

They mean something to you, because you made the table, have deep knowledge, and are a true computer lingo minded pro.

For the non or lesser savvy (I know, they will meet some difficulties facing all HA’s options and terminology) the OP s suggestion for ‘HA suite’ will suit the bill best. That’s what it is, a suite of software to automate the Home. No need to point out the user of the suite will get all other slayers included. This user simply wants to install and start automating. With all the goodies HA has to offer.

In fact, they might not even care if it contains an OS, a docker, or only core, because they will probably neer need to understand that. Just like most of the people don’t understand how their Windows or Mac machine works under the hood (again, I know, they better should, but hey, they don’t, and still are able to store their family snapshots and write some letters, browse the web and view their part of Netflix series…).

Maybe we should be not caring with them. As long as the introduction page guides the novice user to the correct install (download the version for your hardware, click)

Maybe there’s only 2 real choices, one either uses the Suite, or one of the other options. Which you then can name as you did (because the table is very good, said that before). I’d choose docker, and not coretainer, because the fantasy name is less clear than docker (for me), but that’s personal.

Maybe, because of the above Ha should aim to make the naming unimportant because it doesn’t matter in the end.

my 2cts.

Btw, are we merely philosophizing here (which would be fine), or is the core dev team really asking the community for assistance here…?

1 Like

Changed my suggestions to Hub and Hubian.

I really don’t think that matters as if you don’t understand the terms; if you don’t then they carry no more meaning than gold/silver etc to the reader and they are still not likely to remember what they did or what name they used.

The other names convey a degree of history so it is nice to keep them where possible. Personally HA JeOS works for me for the preferred install method :grin:.

I’m not getting a vide there. Supervised is largely understood now, so I’d definitely like to keep it.

If you read through the “Deprecating Supervised for generic Linux” blog post, and the subsequent poll to determine who is using the Supervised edition, there are a surprising number of posts from people asking if their installation was being deprecated, even by users who installed the Supervised version. :man_shrugging: It would appear that “Supervised on generic Linux” is too long and could benefit from a haircut. If we’re in restyling mode, we might as well give both a similar cut.

No immediate deadline at the moment, but sooner rather than later. I intentionally left out a poll at first so people would discuss things rather than simply pressing a button for what sounds coolest; has resulted in some better feedback I think.

Not opposed to adding one now, but unsure what the poll choices would even be? As you said, there hasn’t been too much of a consensus on anything so far. Ideally we’d whittle it down to like 3 or 4 frontrunners first.

Truly asking for assistance. A bunch of people in the team chat suggested asking the community and you can see the same in the GitHub ADR. I asked Paulus first before creating this thread. Naming things is hard, so it’s best to involve as many people as possible.

1 Like

You’ve missed the point around naming and branding.

Ford isn’t marketing a new model called the Ford Ford, in the same way as calling one of many installation methods of Home Assistant, Home Assistant doesn’t work, hence this thread and the overall confusion that exists within the environment and people still using an old name, hass.io.

Home Assistant is the brand, BUT, the branding of everything else within is still important. If it wasn’t, Ford would release a new car called the fajdnaosn34en-hhhgs.

1 Like

Another suggestion:

Home Assistant optimized or optimized install

Since the idea of the operating system is to run as lean as possible.

Still think I stand by my original top 3

All-in-One, Advanced, Container and Core

I don’t like All-in-One.
I did think it was ok (at best) but now, not so much.

No one will ever type Home Assistant All-in-One or even HA All-in-One. Try it, the changes in case and the dashes instead of spaces… it will just become HAAIO (or haaio).

If that doesn’t matter then so be it, but it is a consideration.

What about FE? Full Experience.

HAFE?

Taking this thought (and I am no branding expert) forward; how do you know a Ford Fiesta is smaller than a Ford Mondeo (UK) - you just do because of the branding and advertising. To use the analogy further, you know it is a Ford Fiesta or a Ford Mondeo.

That is what should be aimed for here - I am running Home Assistant <insert model here>. Why not use fruit or some other family of objects? Debian Buster - Debian Stretch. Or Unbuntu or Firefox they all use families of objects (although for versions I’ll admit). Metals is a poor choice as it implies a ‘mine is better than yours’ mentality.

What needs to be learnt is that the name doesn’t matter as much as the communication about what the name gives you (both pros and cons) - that is actually the beauty of the table. At the landing point of someone saying “I’d like this”, you then need to be very clear to explain the options - the different models, not jump straight in to “Here is your image”.

I think the option (model) you have taken to be front and center - so at the top of your web page it says Home Assistant Mango - that is the way to solve the confusion of ‘which version do I have’. If you ask a Ford owner what model they have, they’ll be able to tell you!

Warning: Rant follows.

I don’t think there’s a need for “marketing names” for install methods at all.
These should say what they are. Nothing else. Anything that requires a cheat sheet to find out what it is sucks.

Why would anyone want to look up the difference between a Home Assistant Melon vs a Home Assistant Fruit Salad?

Btw, I also abhor the lately rampant use of silly names in other products. I still have to look up things like “Stretch” or “Buster” for Debian where “Version 9” or “10” is fully sufficient. There’s absolutely no need for calling software products (that have a version anyway) fancy, idiotic, unmemorable marketing names. Just my 2¢, no offence.

3 Likes

:+1: @Moonbase59

Well I think all suggestions mentioned in this topic, would be my guess. Then run the poll for about 2-4 weeks and see what happens. Or if you want a bigger audience put a poll in the next HA update :joy:

Uhm, no I meant you: Home assistant and hass.io are very confusing

I have a great sympathy for this view BUT
Just observe how big businesses treat it (I’m not condoning merely making an observation)
We’ve on version 7, but we’re moving to version 8
We’re on version 8, are we now moving to version 9 - No the next version is 10 - Why ? - Well from here on out we’ll be naming it after the year - Oh, so 2010 ? - No, we’ll just call it 10 - Okay
We’re on version 10 is the next version 11 ? - No, we’ve decided to go to 2011 - What ? but you said … - Yeah I know …

We’re on 2013, next years will be 2014 - Well no, the competition launched an interim release and we don’t want to be seen lagging and calling it XV allows non synchronous, interim and new launches on (say) a 8 to 10 month basis.

Why have we jumped from XV to XXII ? - Well, the competition released their version XXI and we want to be seen as better than them

So I think the ‘fruit’ idea is a pretty good one, except no one wants to be a Lemon

A N D newbies would have to be following HA pretty closely to have any understanding what the release version number signifies and whether it’s relevant (hands up anyone who was even a ‘little’ surprised when we went from 0.99.x to 0.100.x I’m not sure why I was … but … )

The name has to be a nice, easy handle that someone new to the system can relate to. The numbers don’t matter. If I ask you what OS you use you’ll just say Linux Mint (or whatever), - Oh that’s interesting, I’ll give that a try. (I’ll then go away and download the latest version)

1 Like

I completely agree! And also have to look up which Debian version is latest every time. (since it is so stable I hardly touch it ever)

The only reason I’ve read for not doing a non cryptic name is the length of it and the fact that people are going to go for the acronym of it, if it is too long. So the trick is to find something that is none cryptic and short so people use it as is. One word is usually key with this. Even a long one. I haven’t seen anybody butcher the word supervised yet. :joy:

SoopRvZd

:rofl:

1 Like

This story sound vaguely familiar :see_no_evil::rofl:

But anyway, I agree, but I also think @Moonbase59 didn’t mean to make version numbers out of the different ways of installations. I think he meant to make the naming as less cryptic as it can be.