Help us name a Home Assistant installation method (Polls added)

Capture2

I love this table.This needs to go in official docs.

3 Likes

Normally I dont reply as I would want a unbiased reply since i have been here too long but i do like the above structure

My hope is that after seeing the table, people will realize that, feature-wise, there are two distinct categories.

• The first two installation methods are similar; they’re supervised.
  • The last two are similar; they’re not supervised.

Within each category there are variations:

1. With or without an OS.
  2. As a docker container or not.

It’s this clear division into two categories, and the variations, that formed the basis of the names I’ve suggested.

Sure, they could be named Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze but I felt the names should reveal something about themselves.

I quite like where this evolves, and especially the table. YES PLEASE, put it into a prominent place in the docs!

My only objection is “Supervised NOS”—I once learned never to call something “Not-…” or “No-…”. Why not call this “Supervised” only? Like “Core” and “Coretainer” we could have “Supervised” and “Supervised OS” symbolizing there is something extra added.

I have to agree with you. Putting ‘No’ or ‘Not’ in a brand name is bad marketing. You don’t have Coca Cola No Sugar, there is Coca Cola Light and Coca Cola Zero.

1 Like

Brilliant! It leaves the existing Supervised name untouched and simply renames hass.io to Supervised OS.

Method Supervisor Add-ons Snapshots Operating System Docker
Supervised OS Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Supervised Yes Yes Yes No Yes
Coretainer No No No No Yes
Core No No No No No

The only other renaming I suggest is Container to Coretainer in order to highlight its close association with Core (it’s simply Core but distributed as a docker container).

1 Like

Maybe it’s the language barrier (I’m german), but does supervised really convey which technical approach is being used to deliver the product (Home Assistant) to native speakers without a deeper IT background? As someone who knows the different installation methods I was able to guess what supervised could mean when I first heard it. But if that hadn’t been the case, the word alone probably wouldn’t have told me anything about what I would be installing.

Obviously this decision (how to name to installation method) shouldn’t be driven by the linguistic capabilities of potential users. It’s more a question out of curiosity targeted at native speakers, not meant to doubt about the wording.
To me, supervised sounds more like a web-hosting package where maintenance / updates / etc. is included and done by the vendor. I just upload my website and forget about it. But that wouldn’t be the case with any of these installation methods, as they are all self-hosted. :thinking:

Frankly, I don’t think the word “Supervised” is truly a technical term. It’s definition is:

observe and direct the execution of (a task, project, or activity).

Arguably, the word “Managed” might have been more appropriate but “supervised” isn’t too far from the mark. On the hand, “Container” is short-hand for “Docker Container” and that is definitely a technical term. However, given that fact that the installation methods are closely tied to an underlying technology, it’s difficult to convey meaning without employing some degree of technical terminology.

If the goal is to avoid all technical terms and remain “language-neutral”, then we’re back to Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze (whose ranking, I believe, remains the same regardless of language and culture).

In either case, whether one’s choice is “Supervised OS” or “Platinum”, there ought to be a table explaining what that gets you compared to the other three choices.

Ya, brilliant. To all of those participating here. iOS, to all of those tech savvy enough to understand this lingo.

If we really want to open up to new users, we need a more understandable and simplified terminology…

I’m pretty sure this is what I said a while back, but you said it better :wink:

I’ve just read about the last 50 posts as I haven’t been stalking the forum today :slight_smile: but I’m pretty sure someone else mentioned this idea several posts back and I was shocked no one else picked up on it. I’d say it was virtually mandatory. Although to be fair ‘the above structure’ has actually fleshed it out (very effectively).

I agree. And also, whilst the literal meaning of ‘supervised’ does indeed fit perfectly I think (in English) it has connotations close enough to a technical slant that it might ‘frighten’ people. In fact in this context it is actually being used in a technical context. FWIW, I really don’t like ‘Supervised’

I do like ‘Suite’. It describes what it is without needing to go any further. You install the suite, you get everything. Whatever that is and if you don’t want to know, you don’t need to know just install it.

1 Like

I think that if a common abbreviation like “OS” is sufficient to confound a new user, they will be overwhelmed by the rest of Home Assistant’s unique terminology (automations, triggers, templates, etc). There’s a minimum expected level of fluency.

My concern is that the result of this grand undertaking will be the renaming of one installation method, to something like “One” and overlooking the opportunity to address the other three methods. Now would be the time to choose names that reflect the associations each has with the other. In a nutshell, you want each table-row’s name to say something about its feature-set.

I agree with all of that but the issue is ‘we’ absolutely are courting those who might be confounded.

I fail to see how the name of an installation method is what draws new users to Home Assistant. It’s the feature-set found in Home Assistant that draws new users, not the name of how you install it. The installation name simply serves to differentiate itself from the other available methods.

2 Likes

Definitely not hub - you never know, one day the project might want to release a hardware product that could use that name :slight_smile:

I’d just stick with plain “Home Assistant”, as all the other methods are variations in some way of that main product. It keeps it clear for non-technical users who just want to use it. Anyone interested in supervised or core will be technical enough to know the difference and understand the pros and cons of their chosen method.

No, let’s keep the name Home Assistant for the software that automates our home, not for an installation method.

1 Like

Lots of good ideas here - I think I like ‘Suite’ best so far. One problem, though, is that ‘Home Assistant’ is just too many syllables already, and nobody on a podcast will actually say something like “Home Assistant All-in-one” (unless they can abbreviate it to something which sounds like ‘hass-i-o’ :slight_smile: )

How about just ‘Home Suite’, and then the main Lovelace page you log in to could be your ‘Home Suite Home’…?

Take above table, make a good introductory landing page:

Home Assistant is …

Home Assistant can be installed in a variety of ways …

(take table, add a column “recommended technical expertise level”)

For a novice, we recommend trying out the Home Assistant Supervised OS install. It allows an easy “All-In-One” installation, with immediate results. Whenever your expertise grows, or you wish to explore additional possibilities, you can try other install options. In any case, you’ll get the best possible Home Assistant experience—tailored to your needs.

The “Supervised” editions include an extra “Supervisor” component, which allows supervising Home Assistant (and its underlying operating system) for problem-free operation, make backups, reboot your system, and easily install additional add-ons.

(Last part mainly so no one feels “supervised” by some alien instance.)

OT re naming: Anyone remember Linda Lovelace? My first thought when “Lovelace” came out …

The brand is “Home Assistant” which is why it went from Hass.io to Home Assistant in the first place.

Another observation: We are swimming in HAC’s

HACS Home Assistant Community Store
HAC Home Assistant Core
HAC Home Assistant Container
HAC Home Assistant Cloud

“Complete” would add another “HAC” to the list. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just had a thought (steels self to be blasted by everyone) we are mostly technical people here and generally we eschew marketing and that perspective.
BUT I watched a documentary about selling chocolates, at no point through this did anyone change the product or the wrapping or the names, they merely changed the marketing precept. The result was going from being outsold two to one, that changed to outsell two to one.
Perception is reality. (we may argue that facts are facts fullstop, but a mass opinion that is contrary to actuality has to be properly addressed or it becomes an accepted POV (any flat earthers out there ?)
So I’m agreeing with those above who say that the branding and name is important. It’s the first step.
So we’ve agreed that the table is a great idea and that the terms should be explained simply, following the table.

So the idea …

Home Assistant Easy

Subtle variations on that could be Ezee, Ezie, Eazy (for that unique marketing distinction :rofl: )
The point is to catch the eye and suggest that this is the place to start, there are other options but please start here.
The table will show what you get, and point you the what the terms mean but half the battle will be won right there.

Discuss (or attack, I’m big enough and ugly enough to survive)
And so many ideas here have been added to, strengthened and made brilliant by such

1 Like