Help with "auth" or "Manage Users"

Hi
I’m a bit confused. I like the idea of having two users - one, an Admin that can change Home Assistant’s configuration and important bits. And another that just provides access to the frontend for simple access and device control. I think implementing multiple users is the way to go. But I’ve quickly got confused…

So, I activated the auth component as per https://developers.home-assistant.io/blog/2018/07/02/trying-new-auth.html
I’m on the latest hassio and on my next login was presented with a user creation dialog. I created “Admin” as a user. When I get into Home Assistant I can go to Configuration and now have a Users (Manage Users) option. In addition to Admin, I also have the users “Hass.io” and “homeassistant” users. Can somebody explain why these exist please? I now have 2 new accounts of which I do not know the passwords to. As my install is exposed to the internet, I ma worried about how strong or weak the access passwords are for these accounts. Can I change the passwords without damaging anything broader in my setup?

One last add-on question - once I create a new “access” user that is not an owner. Will I be able to stop that user from accessing Configuration settings etc? Or are they already? Just not sure because I can see that a new non-owner user can still navigate to the backend links.

Hope that makes sense. Is there any further info on this feature?

THANKS!
Milster

Hass.io user is a system generated user used exclusive by hass.io system service, this user cannot be used to login.

homeassistant user is the user represented “legacy_api_password” auth provider, it can only be used in that auth provider. The password is your api_password. This is for legacy support usage only, and has the same security level compares with your current api_password. We will remove it eventually when all integration moved away from http.api_password.

By the way, those users will be auto re-created if you accidentally deleted them.

Thanks so much for the info.

So, if I create another user that is not an owner - are their credentials restricted? Or can be restricted?

The only limit in current release is non-owner cannot manage user.

More permission control will come in future release.

1 Like

Great! Thanks for your help Jason. Have a great day! Milster

@awarecan I know this thread is older, but I have a quick follow up. I have 2 Hass.io system generated users in addition to the homeassistant api user.

Can you think of a reason I would have 2 Hass.io system generated users (that I can’t delete)?

Should I be concerned?

It is very possible because we had changed some implementation detail in prior release, hass.io got 2 users as a side effect. Feel free to delete the old one, or both. hass.io will auto generate a new user for itself.

Thanks for the response. It like like both Hass.io users can’t be deleted from the UI. Is there a specific area in the filesystem I would need to go to remove one or both users?

Or, I am I better off just leaving it alone?

Thanks.

Sorry, I didn’t noticed that there is a new feature in last release to disallow user delete system generated user.

You can leave it, it won’t hurt. Or, you can edit .storage/auth to delete user

Can anyone help with users? I am currently on the 0.79 but I am still using legacy api password and I do not know how to set up users owner and others. I have already read the information on the website but still not able. I put in the configuraion.yaml

homeassistant:
auth_providers:

• type: homeassistant

but other than that no idea what to do. Any ideas?

remove it.

delete the auth files in your config/.storage and set up your first user. Then you will be able to manage users

Did that, made an account, which i guess is the owner but when i’m trying to create another account from users says unauthorized! Thanks for your help!

If you logged in with the API password first, that became the ‘owner’ and that is the only account that can make other accounts.

I did not login with API password. Should i remove it as well from the configuration.yaml?

I would just to test and get things right first.

You can modify your .storage/auth file to mark whatever user you want to become owner.

But where should i mark it and how?

Could you please share an example of such modification?