Help with Automation Trigger from Group State

I’ve seen a bunch of questions similar to this one but just can’t figure out what my problem is.

I have a group that consists of my wife and I. I can see, if I look at the history of the group itself, that it goes from “Home” to “Away” as expected when we both leave and then returns to “Home” when one of us comes home.

Then I set up an automation to trigger when the state changes from “Home” to “Away”. I can trigger the automation manually no problem. But it will never trigger based on the state of the group. And I can’t use the trace / debug feature because… well, it never triggers

Below are screenshots of the group state change and the automation configuration.

Any thoughts would be super appreciated.

As with person entities and device trackers, the state of a person-based group you use in State triggers and conditions needs to be either “home” or “not_home”… “Home” and “Away” are just the “pretty” frontend representations.

This is something that causes a lot of confusion in regards to binary sensors of various types that have device class-specific frontend representations, but all require “on” or “off” in State triggers or conditions.

Damn. So simple. Thanks. My other person / location based automations are based on a single person or tracker entering or exiting a zone so I hadn’t actually set up a “home” / “not_home” trigger before.