Help with integrating window contacts into Home Assistant

Translated with DeepL

Hello,

I’ve been using my Home Assistant for about 1.5 years and I’m really happy with it.

I would now like to expand my smart home and integrate my window contacts into Home Assistant in addition to the shutters and lights. Currently, window contacts are already installed in the house, which all converge centrally in the basement. The window contacts are just simple window contacts with cables that can be open or closed.
Currently, these window contacts are all connected to the alarm system and I can see an assigned number for each open window in my overview. Now I want to make the whole thing smart somehow and integrate the window contacts into my Home Assistant. I’m facing several problems: Firstly, I don’t know the best way to connect these window contacts to my Raspberry Pi, on which the Home Assistant is running, and secondly, I have more than 20 window contacts. Of course, I can’t connect them all to the GPIO ports of the Raspberry Pi.
There is also the question of what I need to set in the Home Assistant so that these window contacts also appear as “binary sensors” in the Home Assistant.

Of course, it would be ideal if I could also display these sensors visually on a floor plan of the house so that you can immediately see where which window is open. But that would be the next step. For now, I’m primarily just interested in getting the window contacts into the Home Assistant.

I would be very grateful for any ideas or links to instructions on how I can implement my plan.

Many thanks in advance!

Original (German):
Hallo,

ich habe seit ca. 1,5 Jahren meinen Home Assistant im Einsatz und bin super zufrieden.

Ich möchte mein Smart Home jetzt erweitern und neben Rollläden und Lichtern nun auch meine Fensterkontakte in Home Assistant einbinden. Aktuell sind bereits Fensterkontakte im Haus verbaut, die alle zentral im Keller zusammenlaufen. Bei den Fensterkontakten handelt es sich lediglich um einfache Fensterkontakte mit Kabel, die offen oder geschlossen sein können.
Aktuell liegen diese Fensterkontakte alle an der Alarmanlage an und ich sehe in meiner Übersicht für jedes offene Fenster eine zugewiesene Nummer. Jetzt möchte ich das ganze irgendwie smart machen und die Fensterkontakte in meinen Home Assistant einbinden. Dabei stehe ich vor mehreren Problemen: Erstens weiß ich nicht, wie ich diese Fensterkontakte mit meinem Raspberry Pi, auf dem der Home Assistant läuft, am besten verbinde und zweitens habe ich mehr als 20 Fensterkontakte. Die kann ich natürlich nicht alle an die GPIO-Ports des Raspberry Pis anschließen. Außerdem stellt sich dann noch die Frage, was ich im Home Assistant einstellen muss, damit diese Fensterkontakte auch als “binary sensor” im Home Assistant auftauchen.
Ideal wäre es natürlich, wenn ich diese Sensoren dann auch visuell auf einem Grundriss des Hauses darstellen könnte, sodass man sofort sieht, wo welches Fenster geöffnet ist. Aber das wäre dann ein nächster Schritt. Primär geht es mir erstmal nur darum, die Fensterkontakte in den Home Assistant zu bekommen.

Ich bin sehr dankbar für Ideen oder Links zu Anleitungen, wie ich mein Vorhaben umsetzen kann.

Vielen Dank im Voraus!

Couple years back I remember reading about a project called Konnect that integrates with HA. Might be what you are looking for.

Many thanks for the tip! That’s pretty much exactly what I was looking for. It’s just a bit expensive, but well, I’ll just have to invest that…

Unless anyone here has any other ideas on how to make it cheaper.