Help with Lovelace card to display garage door status

Hi,
I have a binary_sensor (GPIO input) which goes high (on) when my garage door is closed
Can someone help me to make a simple Lovelace card that shows an OPEN garage door when the binary_sensor goes LOW. I would prefer to do all the presentation logic (including the conversion of the logical state) in Lovelace, so that I can keep the sensors etc… matching the hardware.
I’m not a programmer and I can’t get around how to:

1. invert the logic state (preferably in the Lovelace card) and
  2. show an icon with an open or closed garage door
  3. I have played with Jinja2 in the past, but I can’t get it to work in Lovelace
    Any tips are greatly appreciated,
    chris

Use a template sensor that converts your binary sensor into a garage door sensor with inverted state, then you can see it in lovelace, the entities list, and the log, but still see the primary sensor as well.

ok, thank you @richieframe,
I went down the “customization” road, but the concept that you explain makes a lot of sense. Now give me a day or two dive into the Docs again and figure out how I can make that happen … :wink:

try something like:

binary_sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      main_garage_door:
        device_class: garage_door
        value_template: "{{ is_state('binary_sensor.whateveryounamedit', 'off') }}"

cool
thank you @richieframe
That’s a quantumleap !
Chris

@richieframe just to confirm that it all works beautifully now.
Thanks again for the info.

Hopefully I can jump on and ask how it would be possible to show the status as explained but also make it clickable to activate a momentary relay switch to trigger the garage door motor?