Help with MOES Smart IR Controller (Tuya) - Serial Flash ok - No normal boot

Hi, I’m trying to flash Tasmota/ESPHome to a MOES Smart IR Controller.
It has a TYWE3S chip, so I think it should be possible.

From the outside is the same as the one in the guide , but the board is a bit different.

I tried to use tuya-convert but it doesn’t work. It seams that it has a newer, patched firmware.
It doesn’t have pin holes, so I had to solder wires directly to the chip TX/RX/GIPO0.

I’m able to put it into flashing mode, and connect to it with esptool.py.
I can get flash id, erase flash, and I’m able to write_flash the Tasmota firmware and a bare ESPHome firmware.

Output when flashing:

esptool.py v3.0
Serial port /dev/serial0
Connecting....
Detecting chip type... ESP8266
Chip is ESP8266EX
Features: WiFi
Crystal is 26MHz
MAC: 8c:aa:b5:fd:8e:3d
Uploading stub...
Running stub...
Stub running...
Configuring flash size...
Compressed 427120 bytes to 292534...
Wrote 427120 bytes (292534 compressed) at 0x00000000 in 26.4 seconds (effective 129.3 kbit/s)...
Hash of data verified.

Leaving...
Hard resetting via RTS pin...

But when I boot in normal mode nothing happens, no AP Wifi is created to connect to.

I flash from a Raspberry Pi, and I tried to leave the serial connected after flashing, to see any bootlog.
Set the baudrate to the non-standard 74880 and was able to get this output:

With GPIO0 Floating:

ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(1,0)

With GPIO0 to GND

ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(1,7)

It seems that it is still in flashing boot mode, because of the (1,x) according to this resource
But no reference on what the 0 or the 7 mean.

I made the mistake of not backing up the stock firmware, so now it seems to be bricked :frowning:

Any ideas are welcomed.

Adding some photos of the board and the connections:

GPIO0 was directly not soldered to anything in the board, so it doesn’t have any pullup resistors.
When I connect GPIO0 to VCC (directly, whit out pullup resistor) to go to normal booting mode, nothing happens.
I don’t get any output in the serial terminal.

Hi, I found the culprit: my lousy soldering.
The cable in GPIO0 was touching the metal shielding of the chip and so I couldn’t be set to high. That is why it was always in boot mode.
Removed the cable and now it is booting.

Now I’ll continue with the ESPHome configuration of the devise.

@ianchi Hello. I am trying to do exactly the same like on the exact same model. One question though. Couldn’t you avoid the GPIO0 since there is a reset switch ? Did you try that ?

Hi @Fotis_Kanellopoulos,

It’s been a while and I don’t remember exactly.
But I think that was connected to the reset pin. GPIO0 was not connected to anything and I needed to solder it to change the boot mode.

I will try then first with the button and if it does not boot in flash mode I try connecting it to GRND. Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the hijack. Have posted before and still no reply.

I please need some help again. I had to reset my Tuya smart remote controller as the orange light was constantly on and even after having it unpluged for a day it didn’t sort it out. Hence the reset.

My Broadlink for some reason changed ip and had to delete the integration and add it again.

Now only some buttons work in HA and none is working in homekit.

I have deleted homekit and added it again with no success for getting the buttons to work. Whats stange is it picks up everything but just the tuya smart remote controller and Broadlink pro buttons doesn’t work.

I know i had to learn all buttons in HA. Now the big question is, is it because the ip changed? If yes, how can i see under what ip it was so i can reserve the ip again.

If not, how do i delete all scenes that i have created for the Tuya smart remote controller and Broadlink pro so that it doesn’t duplicate and clutter up my HA?

Any other ways to easily solve this problem would be of great help.