Help with Wink Thermostat

I have looked around on here and could not find an example for what I am trying to do and yaml is new to me so that would be very helpful. I have a Sensi Thermostat that is connected to Wink Hub and I have it showing up in HA but I it only displaying some information on the front page, in order to turn anything on or see details you need to click the actual thermostat and then select something from a drop down menu. I am trying to get that to all show in its own group on the frontend. I have three of them currently connected and it would be great if I could see and change their states from that page instead of having to click on them.

Is this possible? Anyone know of a working example? Is this where the template sensor comes in? The issue is all I see is climate.home for one device, climate.second_thermostat etc and no other sensors or anything.

You would need to create new entities with a Template Sensor to show the data as separate objects, then add those new entities to a group, etc.

So with an Ecobee as an example (what I have), I could pull out the current temperature. Which would then be created as a new entity called sensor.thermostat_temp

Example:

sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      thermostat_temp:
        value_template: '{{ states.climate.thermostat.attributes.current_temperature }}'
        friendly_name: 'Thermostat Temperature'
        unit_of_measurement: '°'

If you want to fire off setting changes, you would then create an Input Boolean, Input Select, or Input Slider. that triggers an automation when an option is selected.

I do something like this for creating an Away Mode toggle in the UI.

You can check out my examples here. Look at thermostat.yaml for the Thermostat On Demand automation. It will tell the Thermostat to go Away I then put that toggle in the UI.

In the end the real goal is to automate everything without having to use the UI. So every action that you can conceive of wanting to do manually within the UI think of a way to automate it. Sometimes it takes a few days just thinking about it, but eventually you come up with some clever ideas on how to handle it.

1 Like