Help with Z-Wave setup error

First off any help is appreciated. Also fair warning i am new to HA and to the raspberry pi.

i followed the instructions followed on this page:
https://home-assistant.io/getting-started/z-wave/

after going through them i get the following on the log:
homeassistant.components.zwave: You are missing required dependency Python Open Z-Wave. Please follow instructions at: https://home-assistant.io/components/zwave/ homeassistant.bootstrap: component zwave failed to initialize

Right now i am wondering what to possibly do next. Was the install of OpenZwave not successful? is this an issue with my configuration.yaml?

Doesn’t look like it, but to be fair I use a Wink hub. This might help though…

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. a few questions come to mind. That post is great but it talks about “Compiling open-zwave-control-panel”. The page and instructions i was following was to “compile the OpenZWave library and install the related python-OpenZWave package”

Are these the same thing? from reading that post he talks about diagnosing devices and i cant even get to that point, at least that is what i think based on the errors in my log(ABOVE).

So then you’ve already followed these instructions then?

If you used the AIO installer, all of this is done for you automatically. If you didn’t, consider wiping and using it as this is the fastest path to getting your setup up and running.

1 Like

Yes i followed those instructions. and right after even before i put the USB stick in the pi i got the error i put in my original post. This might be worth mentioning. after the install i went to the location on the pi that the config says and i do not have a config there:
/usr/local/share/python-openzwave/config

That location does not exist. PRE NOR POST install following the instructions.

Okay a much bigger question. Do most people use the AIO installer? does it just work right away? i am new to linux/zwave/pi/HA so it has taken me a lot of time to get to this point, so if i do decide to dump everything and start again i want to make sure i am further along than i am now.

where can i locate the AIO and instructions for the PI?

I went from a Windows 10 installation to a Pi using the AIO installer. I had never even seen a Pi before and this was my first exposure to it. I followed all of the instructions in this video from @brusc

and everything worked straight off. I then moved over my configs from the Win10 box and made some necessary adjustments and I haven’t really had any major issues (that I haven’t caused myself!) since I did. For a Pi/Linux noob like myself, this was really impressive. I think it might be the best route for you to go as well.

1 Like

Wow, cool video, thanks for the link. I guess i will give that a shot. Seems like it might be easier than messing with each thing separately.

It’s really easy to follow; I watched it once, then I ordered my parts from Ben’s links to support his work and waited for delivery. Then I got everything put together, put a keyboard, mouse and monitor on the Pi and watched his video on my PC and paused for each step. It really couldn’t have been easier. And since it’s all automated for you, you don’t have to worry about compiling openzwave or the control panel - everything is preconfigured. What’s more, the default installs it in a virtual environment so no matter what other stuff you install on the Pi, the HA instance and it’s dependencies won’t be touched. That’s the best part!

Hey messing about is how we learn though, right? I’ve been trying to get the Harmony-API working for a about two weeks now, someone showed me how to get npm installed and I kept mucking about with the scripts not working. Gave up for awhile. Then tonight I tried again and realized the error message in the install script was telling me I had the wrong version of npm installed. Googled how to update it, updated and re ran the install and voila!

But messing with your working HA install is much more fun than messing with trying to get it installed, so I’d wipe the disk and start fresh with the AIO installer. Keep me posted if I can help.

1 Like

@rpitera just wanted to say thanks again for the direction. Got everything reinstalled and then just plugged the USB and it worked right away.

Another question if you have time. How do i change the label on the ZWave item? right now in HA it just says ‘Light’. its a GE 12724 3-Way Dimmer Switch. Id like it to say Office Lights or anything different so i do not confuse it once i install my other switches.

YAY!! :tada:

You can do this with a customization entry; first you need to know the internal name that HA gives the device, which you can find in the States panel in the dev tools (on your hamburger menu, at the bottom, looks like <>).

Then follow these guidelines:

Let me know if you get stuck with anything.

1 Like

Worked! Thanks again. Its so much more fun when you get things working. Already ordered more switches from Amazon.

Glad to hear it, now you’re addicted! :smile:

If I helped, please like one of my posts here. It shows the other members I’m helpful.:joy:

1 Like

I used the AIO installer and I can’t seem to run the open-zwave-control-panel.

can someone send instructions on how to run it? (I always stop hass service before trying to run it).

it looks to me like it was never compiled, I can send the error message next time I try.

if i run it in the virtualization, I can’t since there is now way to run it with SUDO as hass (Am I correct about this?), so I try to run it as pi.

I’m sure I’m doing something wrong. Thanks for your help and patience.

Graham