Helpers and Triggers? Need assistance

I’m just getting my feet wet with HA, and absolutely loving it…about two weeks in. Hopefully an easy answer, but my searching has come up dry…

Soooooo:
How do I change a Helper based on a triggered automation?

Background and desired effect:
I have an IR Blaster that turns on a little electric space heater (IR blaster is within HA). I understand they won’t officially be in sync, but when I use the blaster to turn on the heater I want it to toggle (true/false) the helper I built. I built an automation trigger for when the heater IR blaster is used, however I can’t figure out how to make the action “toggle helper”.

Also, quick side-note, not worthy of a topic, itself: the button to restart my server isn’t working. Can I restart HA with a terminal command?

Thanks future HA friends!

On every “helper” (input_* that is) integration page is a list of provided services. For your input_boolean you have input_boolean.turn_on and input_boolean.turn_off.

Call the apropriate service in the action:part of your automation.

You might also try (instead of an automation) a template switch without value_template (which makes it optimistic).

Look up the services for the type of helper you have made ( Integrations - Home Assistant. )

Do a config check. You likely have an invalid config.

That could mean you have errors in your configuration.
You need to enable Advanced mode:

Then this button should appear: