HEOS integration snapshot service (like sonos.snapshot)?

Hi,

is there anything similar to the sonos.snapshot service for the Denon HEOS integration? Especially in connection with text-to-speech (tts) service?

I’m using the following script for tts on HEOS and it would be great if – after the tts-file was played – the HEOS speakers would start playing the content they were playing before.

heos_say:
  alias: "HEOS TTS script"
  sequence:
    - service: media_player.volume_set
      data:
        entity_id: "{{ heos_entity }}"
        volume_level: "{{ volume }}"
    - service: tts.google_translate
      data:
    - delay: '{{ delay }}'
    - service: media_player.clear_playlist
      data: 

Has anybody an idea how I can achieve that with the HEOS integration? With the SONOS integration the script would look like this:

sonos_tts:
  alias: 'sonos tts'
  sequence:
    - service: sonos.snapshot
      data:
        entity_id: media_player.living_room
    - service: sonos.unjoin
      data:
      target:
      data:
        volume_level: 0.5
    - service: tts.google_say
      data:
        language: en-uk
    - delay:
        hours: 0
        minutes: 0
        seconds: 5
        milliseconds: 0
    - service: sonos.restore
      data:

(source: TTS with Sonos)

Thanks for any suggestions.

1 Like

I have been looking for the same behaviour, but it wasn’t on my priority list yet to actually figure out.
After taking a look at how it’s done (in the code) for Sonos, it seems it’s baked into the library used. Sadly the heos library does not support this (yet).
However, it seems like the library sort of just stores the media_url and media_ids of what’s actually playing. Perhaps it’s a possibility to store this data inside variables during the automation? That way you could set the players to continue playing the same media, it’s likely it’ll restart songs though, not sure how those playlists from Spotify etc actually get handled.

I can not even figure out how to get spotify to play on a heos speaker using automations… but this was actually the same use case… wanted to resume music after a message is spoken…

Coming back to this, I’m now starting to configure a lot of things with media_players in my house. I was able to get a first version up and running for my use case:

- service: media_player.media_pause
  target:
    entity_id: media_player.spotify_xx
  target:
    entity_id: media_player.heos_living
  data:
     volume_level: 0.4
- service: tts.cloud_say
  data:
    options:
    language: nl-NL
- wait_for_trigger:
    - platform: device
      device_id: 3ba398b405128b0ebd7de3f28daf604c
      domain: media_player
      type: idle
  data:
    volume_level: 0.22
  target:
- service: media_player.media_play_pause
  target:

This is part of a nested choose right now, to check if Spotify is playing on the heos_living media player. This check is simply done by 2 conditions:

- condition: device
  device_id: 3558409bf1a011ea827953ae963abbfc
  domain: media_player
  type: is_playing
- condition: state
  state: Living
  attribute: source

Currently it seems there’s still a small issue, where it seemingly wants to play the message a second time or something like that (I hear the ‘Hallo’ part again, then it switches back).

Obviously this only works with spotify, because that one keeps it’s playlist and progress internally.
Next up will be trying to properly set it up to work with simple URLs (like internet radios)

Can you play Spotify to your HEOS speaker from your phone? also, do you have Spotify Premium? If I recall correctly you can’t interact with Spotify at all (other than seeing is it’s playing and what it’s playing) if you have the free tier

I do have premium, and yes we always use our phones to play Spotify on our heos speakers. But now I wanted to resume the music after interrupted it with a notification. We have 4 Spotify accounts in the family and all of us get pretty annoyed over that we need to restart the music after a notification has been played. So i only use it for important stuff. But would like to use it more often

With my previously posted code it would work, but you’d need to find and store which account is actually playing on the speakers so you can restore the same account. Multi-room (grouped) speakers also wouldn’t really play nicely, as you’d pause the music on all speakers, for my use case it doesn’t happen as I don’t have them grouped, but it’s a problem I could see happening…

Yes, pausing Spotify first before changing source is a smart way, will try it next time i have time