Hero Health-Device Hacking

Hi guys not sure where exactly to start but here is what’s going on. I have an old Pill Minder buy Hero Health that I had purchased out right. However after I discontinued service and had paid 1,000 for the device I find out it is locked to their service. The device has WiFi etc. It appears to be running a Texas Instrument Chip though I can’t exactly make out the model. I had to peel off the Retailer Sticker to find that out. It has connections for an X & Z stepper motor, a T stepper motor, and door. It has a basic LED Display browsable by a hardware button. My question is can anyone guide me as to where I might be able to go for resources on A) How to hack it so that I can use it without their service or them connected to it. I am willing to JTag or whatever is required.
OR This is preferred
B) Modify it so it becomes an alcohol dispenser for mixing cocktails.
As I said I purchased the unit a couple years ago, at the time I didn’t realize they would keep it locked to their service.
Finally then integrate it into HA

1 Like

I am of no help, but I also have one of these and absolutely loathe paying the $30/month for their service and not even having it support the features I’d actually use (or being able to track whether or not I’ve taken my meds from my dashboard). Please keep us updated if you come up with a solution to this!

1 Like

If it’s anything like the current device it’s probably useless without the internet-connected app. You’d have to write a complete software stack for it.

I’m going to give it a try I’m confident I can mod this for esphome and compile a yaml file please provide some features you are interested in.

2 Likes

Daily Pill Reminders sent to phone and another phone if pill dispense time is missed. Coordination with Callen-Lorde access via callen-lordepharmacy.com to order refills or text when refills are needed. What would be awesome sauce is if it could notify you the difference between a pill that needs to be taken with food and one that doesn’t. I don’t know if there is a way to incorporate dispensary of pills that are taken on an as need basis but I have a an Rx of doxyprep I take on an adhoc and would love to have that incorporated in. Also if there is a way to setup multiple users on one machine. I remember reading about someone who built one of these types of machines with an RPI. Perhaps if his coding is on GitHub it could be utilized. If you think it helpful I could look up the resource.

Did you ever make any headway?

I had the same idea awhile back and purchased a used unit.